MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/02/2007 10:25 AM

Brushing

herding123
herding123  

Brushing helps to desensitize the nerves under the skin.

You brush on all sides of the arms and legs, 10X each side.

You brush down to calm down the system and up to 'wake' up the body.

I've been using it for quite a while now; I notice when I don't do it sometimes its like a drop in the system and going back to it helps that. It doesn't work for everyone but its working for a ton of people. Have any of you ever tried this? You can get these from an O.T. or from Achievement Products.

I also use them just to rub with my hands to get me focused or the sensory input.

Kris

10/02/2007 11:23 AM
Melba

I had not heard of this idea before. Thank you for sharing it with us.

10/02/2007 11:28 AM
herding123
herding123  

You're welcome Smile Do you think you'll try it?

Kris

10/02/2007 11:55 AM
Marica
Marica  

my 4 year old loves to get his arms and legs brushed and the back of his neck. it seems to calm him down.

10/02/2007 02:21 PM
herding123
herding123  

Marica,

Yes it does help! Smile Do you I assume use the brushing 'down'?

I've had to have my brushing up as well sometimes when I'm just I don't know quite how to explain; really distracted is a good way to put it I guess.

Kris

10/02/2007 02:26 PM
Melba

I will definitely talk with my son about the idea. (He's 12.)

10/02/2007 03:28 PM
herding123
herding123  

Ok Smile I hope it can help him if he decides. You can tell him that I'm 21 and use that.

Kris

10/03/2007 06:18 AM
liddy
liddy  

some of my students (8-11 yrs. old)Like the brushing. It soothes them. One boy kept a brush in his desk to brush his hands before having to work with paper - he was sensitive to the texture. Most of the time I put his papers inside a plastic sheet protector and he used a wipe off marker, but I didn't figure out how to do that with books!

10/03/2007 09:37 AM
herding123
herding123  

Hi Liddy,

That's great Smile It really does stuff to the nerves right under the skin. Do you work in an autism classroom?

Kris

10/03/2007 06:52 PM
liddy
liddy  

Yes. I teach in a grade 3-5 classroom for "high functioning students on the autism spectrum." It is technically a BD room, but our methods are very different from tradition behavior rooms. Social and language skills have 1st priority, the acedemics come in second. Reading writing and math are important, but knowing how to express your needs and interact with other people is vital. Of my 7 students (all boys) 5 of them are very intelligent, and the other 2 are about average intelligence. All of them are rather far behind in some areas of their academics, but only because their issues interfere with their learning. One little guy refused to do/learn how to write or spell because he was such a perfectionist, and if he couldn't get it 100% right, he wasn't going to try. He got onto a new med, and we went through 3 years of spelling in 3 months. That was fun! I love working with them because they are so truly unique. There is nobody even 'sort of' like them.

I also have a 22 year old son with some asperger's traits, although we did not realize this until I started teaching spectrum kids. It sure helped me understand him better. I used to be really mad at him because I couldn't get him to go with me to visit my mom. He didn't like the smell of her cigarettes. After she died he felt really guilty. Now that we both understand so much more about sensory issues, he no longer feels like he was a rotten grandson. It wasn't his fault.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved