MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/21/2007 09:53 PM

Class room instruction

Nicksmom

I am the mother of an 8 year old boy who has Autism. My son is in a self contained 90 percent of the day and the only things that is able to participate in with his class is music and PE. How many people out there have children who are mainstreamed into the regular classroom?

09/21/2007 11:19 PM
spectrummum

Hi

i am shell mum of 6

ome with autism one with aspergers one with raits one with lbd

my aspie is in mainstream but not coping very well .

09/22/2007 08:30 AM
cfl9398
cfl9398  

My aspie is 9 and is mainstreamed most of the time except for his speech class and his READ 180 class (language arts for those with comprehension issues). He does very well. But there was a time not too long ago when he couldn't handle the mainstream because of all the sensory issues he has. He has learned to compensate through a lot of teacher help. May I ask who's idea it was for him to be in self contained so much? What is the situation around that? Maybe we can offer more suggestions if we knew a little more.

Best of luck

CFL9398

09/22/2007 09:08 AM
lsngmymind
lsngmymind  

my son is in mainstream Kindergarten... but has a one on one aid the entire day... he is really not doing well... one of his fears is the fire drill... and since they did their first one for the year he has had to be removed from the classroom... he is angry hitting and kicking.. running away.... and raising his fist to teachers and classmates... it is a very stressful and emotional situation...

It has really made me realize he truly does have Aspergers.... and i am not just a bad mother like most family members and people in my community have been telling me

09/22/2007 10:22 AM
sesgardner

Have you looked into sensory issues for your son? Meaning, do loud noises bother him? I know for me, loud noises are truly awful, and cause actual PAIN in my body. If your son is having an extreme reaction to fire drills, it may be something as simple as the noise.

Many kids with Asperger's need prior notice of fire drills AND your son, if he has sensory issues, may need to have ear plugs, or be removed from the building early. If they try to tell you that he "needs to learn" then please remind them that he has many years ahead of him in which he can learn to deal with his Asperger's and ONE way of coping is to learn how to remove himself from situations that are unbearable.

If they are worried about what to do in the event of a REAL fire, then it is COMPLETELY the staff's problem to figure out how THEY can behave to handle a child who CAN'T yet handle the noise and suddenness of the alarm, etc.

09/22/2007 10:29 AM
lsngmymind
lsngmymind  

they did warn him early.. and removed him from the building so that he could barely hear the alarm... but the fear of it has caused a meltdown... i hope it calms down soon... but for right now he is definetly not happy

i pre-warned the school that they would have a different boy on their hands once the fire drill occured and they offered me to keep him home.... maybe i should have... but i think he should learn to cope with them so i sent him.....

now he is definetly in a funk not the same worse than if we had just upset his routine...

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved