MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/03/2011 10:39 AM

Extremely loud screaming from a non-verbal child

HH67

Good Afternoon everyone

I am brand new to this forum and site but not to autism. We have had our son on the spectrum for over 9 years now. The biggest hurdle we are facing now is the very loud screaming that he does. He does it mostly to be vocal but it is very hard to listen to for 12+ hours. We have tried to take away what he is screaming at but then he just screams at something else, we have told him to stop, tried distraction but nothing seems to work. There has to be a way to get him to stop but I just can't think of any. His scream is so loud that I am sure we are all losing hearing from it.

If anyone has any suggestions, I will be glad to hear them.

Thanks

09/05/2011 07:19 AM
silenttears

I just want to say i am in the same boat u are my son was recently diagnosed with autism but i had known he had it, His screaming is so loud that i cant bare to be around him and i hear it all day long he has words but wont use his words he screams for everything when he dont get his way, when u tell him no, and if you sing, whistle, or basically when u interact and he dont want that interaction so thats basically all day and i am looking for some help also please

09/18/2011 06:11 PM
paul0561

Every behavior has a function and some behaviors have several functions. Have you tried keeping a record of the antecedent that is what happens just before he screams? He could be screaming for a variety of reasons, to gain attention, for sensory input, to escape an activity access of preferred item or activity,and so forth. When you examine the reason for his behavior, then you give a more desirable replacement behavior. When teaching a replacement behavior, it can take time and will require commitment to change that behavior.

You might also try, if you haven't already, reading some books on understanding the function of behavior. I work for the school district and when a child is displaying negative behaviors the first step is to conduct a behavioral analysis.The first step is always to determine the function of the behavior, and all behavior does serve of function, before a behavior plan can be implemented.

I hope this helps.

09/18/2011 06:11 PM
paul0561

Every behavior has a function and some behaviors have several functions. Have you tried keeping a record of the antecedent that is what happens just before he screams? He could be screaming for a variety of reasons, to gain attention, for sensory input, to escape an activity access of preferred item or activity,and so forth. When you examine the reason for his behavior, then you give a more desirable replacement behavior. When teaching a replacement behavior, it can take time and will require commitment to change that behavior.

You might also try, if you haven't already, reading some books on understanding the function of behavior. I work for the school district and when a child is displaying negative behaviors the first step is to conduct a behavioral analysis.The first step is always to determine the function of the behavior, and all behavior does serve of function, before a behavior plan can be implemented.

I hope this helps.

06/08/2014 01:03 PM
stefM

I also have this screaming problem with my son and went here to find some answers. So I don't mean to be disrespectful or ungrateful, but as the parent of a 14 year-old disabled boy (autism and MR), I have often heard advice about keeping records of the antecedent, etc. I've even done it myself. Sadly, most of us are too exhausted for this sort of record-keeping. I know I am! Not to mention that it rarely bears the sort of predictable fruit that would give me any real faith in this method.

My son is screaming a lot these days. I can't say I'm exactly keeping records, but sure, I do try to figure out why he is doing it. It's so exhausting. Unfortunately, it almost seems like he does it for just about any reason: boredom, frustration, anger, discomfort, or even just as an outlet for energy as he is nonverbal.

At this point, I am just hoping that it will go away eventually - that has sometimes happened with his negative behaviors. Lately I have taken to wearing some sound proofed earphones at home when I need a break. We have an addition on our home and it also helps me to "escape" there once in a while. Sometimes you just have to take care of yourself so you can endure.

Good luck to anyone with this problem and to myself also, haha! But it sure isn't a laughing matter, like I said, really exhausting. Makes you wanna get on the next Greyhound bus to anywhere, for sure.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved