MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/22/2009 03:51 PM

sexual behavior

monsters

my 11 year old autistic son is tring to act on his sexual thoughts and i am not sure how to handle it. I know it is normal somewhat, but he doesn't know it is private.

Post edited by: monsters, at: 06/22/2009 03:58 PM

06/22/2009 05:14 PM
scotty04901
scotty04901  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

PM me to explain in more private details

06/22/2009 10:26 PM
spectrummum

Masturbation is a natural activity for a child who is going through puberty. Be prepared to talk about masturbation with your child so that they do not develop any anxieties about what they are doing.

The BBC website has a biological description for erections which might appeal to your son: www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/body/

articles/lifecycle/teenagers/erections.shtml. By reading through this explanation with your son, and perhaps looking at the interactive body video which shows male genitals developing, you may reassure your son that what happens to his body is something that happens to all boys and men. When talking to your son about erections, you will also need to explain to him about wet dreams.

It is important that your children know how to clean themselves afterwards, perhaps supplying tissues/wet wipes or an appropriate towel. In the instances of wet dreams, you may want your son to tell you what's happened so that you can change the bedclothes together. If your child would find this difficult, you could establish a symbol or sign that he could show you, perhaps either on a piece of card or a hand signal which could let you know what had occurred.

While you are talking to your children about puberty you may also need to provide some guidelines about who they can talk to about any concerns they have, for example mum, dad, the GP and school nurse. You may also need to tell them about 'private' and 'public' rooms and how they should restrict particular activities, such as masturbation, to private rooms only. To clarify this, you may like to put a 'private' sign on the door of their private place in the house, for example their bedroom. However, please ensure that your child understands that if a room says 'private' on it, it does not necessarily mean that this is a suitable place for any sort of sexual activity

social tories work well this is one i have on my forum.

Your Private Areas and Touching Yourself

It is okay for you to touch your body.

It is okay to touch your hands, legs, arms, head, face, back and feet when people are watching

It is not okay to touch your private areas when people are watching

Your private areas are your penis, your testicles, and your bottom.

It is okay to touch your private areas when you are alone in your bedroom or in the bathroom with the door shut.

No one should see you touching your private areas

Only you can touch your private areas.

Sometimes it will feel good

to touch yourself.

It is not okay to touch or rub your penis when someone is watching.

Touching your penis is something you do alone in private

It is not okay to show someone else with your penis

Your penis is your private part that is only for you to see

It is not okay to ask someone to touch your penis, it is not okay to touch someone else's penis or private area.

Your penis is your private part and is not for sharing

It is okay to touch or rub your penis when you are alone in your bedroom or bathroom with the door shut, .

06/23/2009 12:41 AM
missymoo918
missymoo918  

Oh my goodness, I'm not looking forward to puberty with my son. This is good information to know though. I haven't seen a social story written out yet, even though this one was about private parts I'm sure I could work on some for Sam with pictures in areas he needs help with such as people turning lights on or off without warning him. Reaction to family members doing normal body functions like burping, hiccup, sneezing or passing gas.. I know that sounds funny but Sam gets really upset when any of us do any of these things.

06/23/2009 01:56 AM
spectrummum

I have many social stories on my forum pictures can be added to any of them and personalized.has I say with everything autism,nothing is straight from the book,we have to adapt and change all to fit the needs.

Social are a way of telling it how it is visually,most children with ASD are visual learners anyway.

06/23/2009 10:09 AM
flutterbug
flutterbug  

when my son was about 4 he used to touch his privates any where so sence he was so smalli told him its fine if he needs to do that but he has to go to his room or bathrrom i said it not mad or embarced just matter of fact so he got up left the room went to his room for a long time then came back out lol it was kinda funny cause it was like ok well i'mnot done ...but i amnot sure how this wilwork when he is a teen...

06/23/2009 10:11 AM
spectrummum

hopefully by then he will have more undertsnading and knowledge of self.

06/23/2009 12:08 PM
monsters

when my son was about 7 or 8 he would pass gas and announce the word farted. I would put my finger over my mouth and say shh it's a secret. One day in the car i'm driving and he said "secret".lol got to love them. He has it right know, he says "exuse me.

06/23/2009 05:03 PM
herding123
herding123  

Hi saw this and thought it was interesting one and have a few comments...

Well, first off its not uncommon for people on the spectrum to especially you know like do stuff in that area (exploration I guess) because it is seen as 'tactile stimulation' more so than a neuro-typcial person.

ALSO, Missymoo, about your son getting upset or angry when others do anything in the house like passing gas, belching or burping... oh don't be surprised - it has to do with sound regulation issues that are unique to several individuals with Autism (not all, but several) I personally get so angry and I just feel like I can't understand it and it bothers me, so don't worry its not unusual for your son Wink This needs to be brought up more that issue as well - great for bringing it up! Smile

Hugs,

Kris

06/23/2009 05:08 PM
scotty04901
scotty04901  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Kris...excuse yourself...could not resist

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved