MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/11/2009 09:14 PM

My 3 year daughter just diagnosis with autism?

Melissa9478
Melissa9478  

I am not exactly sure what the GARS scale is...but I know it was used to scale how my daughter rated -- unlikely to very likely to be Autistic, with 1 - 150. My daughter scored 106. What does that mean? and am I crazy to think that this "test" could be incorrect. I know my daughter is Autistic, but a "scale"? I know she is able to "do" much more than the diagnosis test reflected. I was very upset with the news and the score... so much so that I completely forgot to ask for an explanation at the time.--- and maybe I am just having a hard time accepting this??? This is all very new to her father and I. I am not sure how I feel just yet. I have excepted the fact that my child has Autism..... I just am having a difficult dealing with it emotionally. I am willing to go to the ends of the earth to make her life better or all that it can be, as what most mothers would do. I just want to know if it is normal to be on this emotional rollercoaster over this and can I ever look at her and not want to put her in a bubble. Does knowing make things different. Thank you for taking the time to read this.... even though it may not make any sense... I feel better right now.... after venting. Blink

04/11/2009 09:32 PM
missymoo918
missymoo918  

My son is 3 and just starting the testing process. I'm very curious to see what others say about this. We are going in to have more testing on Sam in two weeks I'll keep this in mind when we go.

I'm really worried about the testing, a friend of mine said they do tests that are really uncomfortable for the child, like touch tests? Putting shaving cream in their hands, having them put thair hands in bowls of rice or sand.. did your daughter have to do all this?

04/11/2009 10:49 PM
JAN2009
JAN2009  

MY SON IS 4 WITH HFA....AND YOU ARE NOT ALONE. WE HAVE ALL FELT AND FEEL THE ROLLERCOASTER RIDE. EVERYTIME I GO IN FOR HIS FOLLOW UPS I FEEL LIKE I JUST BUNGIE JUMPED. WITH TIME IT WILL GET EASIER TO ACCEPT. THE WAY I LOOKED AT IT...IS THIS IS THE BEGINING TO A NEW JOURNEY IN LIFE. ONE THAT WILL BE A CHALLENGE BUT WELL WORTH IT. ONCE THE DIAG. HAS SUNK IN, A SUPER POWER COMES IN YOU AND YOU START TO DO EVERYTHING IN YOUR POWER TO HELP YOUR CHILD. BELIEVE ME YOU WILL BE OKAY...SHE WILL BE OKAY. ALL SHE NEEDS IS YOUR LOVE AND ACCEPTANCE. AND I AM SURE YOU ARE GREAT PARENTS! WE ARE ALL HERE TO HELP. SO WELCOME TO THE GROUPKissing

04/12/2009 11:59 AM
shayball23

I know with my little girl they did a lot of stuff that she did not like she was flipping out alot. It was a very long day... I wish you the best..

04/12/2009 09:00 PM
Melissa9478
Melissa9478  

I really appreciate all of the wonderful advice and comments. It really is refreshing to put the my daughter to bed and know that their are mothers out there who know exactly how I feel when I watch her sleep. I do know that things will get better.... it is just frighting not knowing if I am doing the right thing or enough or try this or try that. So I do look forward to this support group. Experience is the best advice. And I am all ears! Thank you again.

04/12/2009 09:27 PM
Melissa9478
Melissa9478  

The test that my daughter went through weren't that bad.... she is just very stubborn and does things when she wants to.... not when the doctor wanted her too. And it wasn't that she couldn't do what they asked... she didn't want to do it then. However, they stated that they had to observe her doing what was requested to know that she could do it. So in return when she did not complete what was requested of her... it only made her more upset and behaviors began.... which every parent knows esculated because of no nap, small room, and several strangers. However... as confused and upset as I was, the doctors were very understanding and compassionate about the situation. I didn't experience any of the "shaving cream" things, Ashlen's was very simple... but my daughter has a severe speech delay also. So maybe every child is different. They just basically put us in a room with a one-way mirror and about 3 to 4 doctors observe her and periodically come in a ask her and I a few questions. I hope this help.... but I do think every child's diag. is probably different.

Good Luck Wink

04/13/2009 01:07 AM
maMONa
maMONaPosts: 1168

hello.

i am 36, and on the spectrum.

my son is 2 ans was DX with HFA in Nov.

It only took the developmental pediatrician 45 min. to dx him...even though her credentials read that it takes her 4-5 VISITS for a DX.

my baby has a severe speech delay as well.

all i can say is that it is NOT the end of the world.

your child is different that's all.

knowledge=accpetance=understanding

that will guide you. ignorance is bliss.

best wishes

Post edited by: maMONa, at: 04/13/2009 01:08

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved