MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/15/2007 10:32 AM

is autism curable?

Grace5
Grace5Posts: 2

i've recently started to read a lot about psychological diseases, as i believe my father may suffer from some kind of mental disorder.

i was wondering... does autism fade away, i mean, a child with autism can develop into a "normal" person?

from what my grandma tells, i suspect my dad could have had autism as a child. however, he is now sociable and normal around people. there's no way of making such a retroactive diagnosis, but i was wondering if it ever goes away.

07/16/2007 02:10 AM
Sheisme

I don't think it does go away, it is a condition a child is born with and social, enviromental and medical interventions shape the way it presents itself.

My 3 autistic children were born with Autism and I know for them to have a 'normal' life, I will have to teach them the skills others take for granted. But life skills can be taught to lessen the 'symptoms' of Autism and I believe this gives the impression as children grow into teens and on to adults, that they somehow grow out of Autism. They don't grow out of it, they learn to live with it.

Laura x

08/02/2007 05:16 AM
spectrummum

NO AUTISM IS NOT CURABLE

IT IS ADAPTABLE BUT NOT CURABLE

mANY PPEOPLE DO CLAIM THAT SOME MIRACLE CURE WAS FOUND BUT I DISAGREE COMPLETLY.

AND MORE TO THE POINT WOULD SOMEONE WITH AUTISM WANT CURING

I HAVE ASPERGERS AND FORUR OF CHILDREN ARE ON THE SPECTRUM AND I WOULD NEITHER CURE MYSELF OR MY KIDS

LOVE SHELL

http://groups.msn.com/autismaspergersinthefamily

12/01/2007 05:35 PM
deeslexia
deeslexia  

Hmmm .

I am unsure about the recovery element ... I have passed 60 years '' failing normal ''. i assumed that my head worked the same as others and that I was just not so good as coping .

I appear perfectly '' normal '' , if quiet / timid / anti-social [ or , in the past deliberately not trying hard enough , or even bloody minded or arrogant , as I switch off if on overload ]

Yes , I can function well , but it's like an automatic learned by rote response - I have no sense of participation , of '' I am doing '' '' my hand ''... yet I pass as normal .

I wonder if in the minds of the majority this is perceived as a cure for my ASdee , it acts normal , so it is normal .

it was a relief to realise that my head does see/ resolve work as others do - that an essential programme to deal with same / almost same / not same / is missing .

I believe that it is ESSENTIAL that the difference is recognised , and that children with ASD / PDD whatever , are not forced to obey normal ''rules '' as I was .

.. and what do I mean by resolving otherwise - formerly other stupid ?

What is more true -

This thing is '' handbag '' , so logically no other different shape / size / texture / colour '' object , can also be '' handbag ''.

or ... many totally not same objects all , I am told , are '' handbags ''.???? !!!!

You have a programe which categorises '' not sames '' seamlessly into a kind of '' pretending '' that things which have the same purpose / useage are seen as both '' same '' and '' different ''

The reality is that the objects are '' not same '' as the 1st thing identified as '' handbag '', though the majority are not aware of this .

I am ever trying to work out which is THE HANDBAG ? MUG ? FORK ? KNIFE ? - let alone trying to retain the link of the word to describe '' handbag '' [ sound / mark ] with the actual ''thing '' . i can often look at the ''thing '' and struggle to locate recognise it etc .

i can cope with my mug etc at '' home '' , but outside have to try to find a mug which is as same in weight , size etc , or I can't balance with it = wet tea shirt OOPS !

I have not recovered from this deeficulty , though I cope so well that its' not noticeable , which means that others actally expect / demand more and more from me , with little or no respect for my bewilderment and anxiety .

dee

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved