MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/01/2012 07:42 PM

sleep

ajsmom

My severly autistic, non verbal, son Anthony is now 24 years old and... does not go to sleep at all some nights.He will go to sleep some nights and wake up a couple of hours later not not go back.Then there are periods when sleeps just fine.Any suggestions?

03/04/2012 04:41 PM
peanut2917
peanut2917  

Hi ajsmom. My son has Tourette Syndrome+ and recently diagnosed PDD-NOS..A type of Autism not othervise specified..Nik hasnt slept in yrs but he's only 10. The Pharmacutical meds have also made is tics go off the charts so I have tried all natural from vitacost.com. Nik can swallow pills, i'm not sure about yours. If he can u may want to try Solaray Passion Flower, also, Natures Way, Silent Night with Valerian, the trick with this one is u have to take 4 capsules one hour b4 bed. last, BHI, Heel for homeopathy...Calming..supposed to help relieve sleeplessness, restlessness, anxiousness (and PMS if u need it lol Smile All these are All natural. You may want to go to vitacost webiste or Swansonvitamins site (vitacost is has lower amount to get free shipping tho) and search thru what they have. They have Adult dosed bottles too. Hope this helps...peanut2917

03/07/2012 07:48 PM
ajsmom

Thanks PEANUT2917,I am going to look that up right now.

03/08/2012 09:10 PM
edcomm1

Melatonin works well for our son. It is available in liquid form so you can scale the dose to his weight. We put it in his drink or applesauce 30min. to an hour before bed time. If he wakes up with more than four hours to go before it is time to get up, we give him more. We get ours from Sprouts Farmer's Market.

Long daily walks help also. It is cold right now, so we walk the mall. I know that may not be an option for some children.

03/09/2012 12:38 PM
ajsmom

THANKS,

03/12/2012 08:35 PM
thinker

Try magnesium supplements such as CALM. Melatonin may cause nightmares and should not be used without breaks. Also you can have him checked for parasites. some holistic doctors can do that. Ma daughter used to wake up every 30 minutes until she received a two time dose of meds for parasites. She's been sleeping through the night ever since.

03/13/2012 03:57 PM
ajsmom

Thanks thinker, i will let u know how well it works

03/13/2012 06:02 PM
mem9093

Thinker, I have to ask...what type of parasitic infection was your daughter diagnosed with? I'm guessing intestinal?

03/20/2012 02:28 PM
ajsmom

I tried Silent Night with Valerian two nights ago and it has worked so far. Thanks for a good nights sleep.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved