MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/20/2009 09:25 AM

Rash, low grade fever, stomach issues

kari
kari  

Hi, my daughter is 6yrs old with PDD-NOS on last diagnosis. she was diagnosed with autism at 18months. She seems to be progressing but I am concerned of new symptoms. Right after Thanksgiving while visiting her dad in Chicago she developed a rash on the tops of her hands and arms. It went away but came back around her mouth. Once again it went away but then came back in both places, around her mouth and on the tops of her hands and mouth. It was alot worse this time and I noticed a low grade fever. She had recently had a stomach virus then step throat and of course given antibiotics Again. She has been on antibiotics constantly since birth. AT the doctors they now said she had an ear infection which she is prone to since birth. They gave her antibiotics again which she is taking now and steroid cream for the rash. She still complains about her stomach. The stomach issues have been going on since birth too and she has always had constipation. she went to a GI before in Chicago and all they did was say her rectum was tilted and put her on medicne that I did not like. They now said she is really backed up and gave her medicine again that makes her leak and messes her pants. Her temperature as always seemed to go up and down (low grade) and she is sensitive to heat and temperature. Last night I noticed she had acid reflux. It came up in her mouth and she swallowed it. it scared her cause she thought she was going to throw up. Since birth she has had stomach issues where one minute she is fine and the next she starts to cry out of no where and says she is going to throw up. Sometimes she throws up and other times nothing comes up, she just cries and says she feels like she is going to throw up but then after a few minutes she seems to be ok or the next day she is ok. I don't quite understand what is going on. She gets sick very easy and catches anything and everything, the nausea and vomiting that comes and goes, the ear infections, the low grade fever that comes and goes, the heat sensitivity, the stomach pain, and now the refux and rash. Last night in bed she was sweating. I also noticed as I lightly rubbed my hand across her legs, that there were bumps there but they were not red or appeared like a rash. I have an appointment with a GI at the U of M finally that her kidney doctor referred her to but it seems like forever. Her regular doctor is only good for standard issues and tells me to go to the University. I am so angry that over the years I have expressed my concern on these issues and they blow me off and my daughter suffers. Now I am seeing new symptoms. I was wondering if anyone has experienced the same or knows anything regarding these symptoms. I am worried and desprite to help my daughter. I constantly try to research the internet but come up with so much that can be confusing or misleading and still no answer. I would value your opinion or advise greatly

Kari

01/20/2009 10:23 AM
spectrummum

It certainly sounds like she has some intolerences.

And many children with autism have a low immune system,

Have her checked for allergies Since she had issues from birth I would say it was lactose intolerence but dont hold me to that.The rash may flair up because of the allergie it can all cause swollen stomach red ears,thrush and much more,

How is she for poo is she constipated and how many wee wees does she do on average per day,

I would have some testing done first work on elimination if that comes back clear we can go down another route.

shll

01/20/2009 01:33 PM
hopie
hopie  

Hi,my 6 yr old is severly autistic..He is nonverbal and we are always beating our heads trying to figure what is going on with him...I noticed you spoke of a rash.I know for sure you can get a rash with strep throat.My niece had strep and had no symptoms but the rash..It came back a couple times and then just went away after a while...I do know that my son is sensitive to some things and I did have hime allergy tested but most of his tests came back normal.My 2 yr old on the other hand has always had different rashes and he was tested and had a true milk allergy and soy allergy as well.Well reflux,where do I start..Both of my children have it!I never followed through with medicating my older son for it and he had a scope done a yr ago and the dr said his esophagus looked like a cobblestone road from the reflux.He wouldnt even get to the actual throwing up coming up.He was always just fussy and woke up constantly from it.I say if you already know your daughter gets it coming up in her throat then I say its definately time for reflux meds.The reason for my pushing is that my 6 yr old starting having seizures about 2 yrs ago.I have just come to the conclusion that probably 98 % of his seizures followed his meal or during..I thought it was strange plus he's on seizure meds that should be controlling these episodes.I looked up reflux and seizures and came up with sandifer syndrome every time I looked at something and here these episodes mimick seizures,the children diagnosed with it are origanally diagnosed with epilepsy and are treated with seizure meds with seizure activity continuing and mostly normal MRI's and EEG's..They say its a defense mechanism for the reflux pain when eating.Children with neurological problems are more prone and also have it well into their adolescence.Im not saying your child will have this but it is very important to treat reflux..It could lead to much more severe things if left untreated..My son also has major feeding issues which can be attributed to autism but also can be the effects of untreated reflux.And finally my son had MAJOR constipation issues...Very bad,very painful!I noticed as soon as we started reflux meds that I have not witnessed one single seizure episode and his bowel movements are much softer and he goes a little more regularly.Im hoping to get him off of seizure meds soon to see if it is just from the reflux.One more thing , both of my sons had ongoing ear infections for months and months and we had tubes put in for both and never have we had another ear infection.My 6 yr old hasnt had one in probably 5 yrs and my almost 3 yr old hasnt had one in 2 yrs.Definately worth it!!!Hope this helps..Sorry for rambling...Lots of info!If you have any questions feel free to ask..Good luck,Hope

01/22/2009 10:06 AM
kari
kari  

Thank You for your response, Yes my daughter is constipated to the point that she is extremely backed up that was shown on a x ray. One again the medicine they give her causes her to have no control and leaks. I have expressed my concerns about her stomach and possible allergies and etc.. many many times. She had ear tubes put in which did help but the tubes eventually fell out and now a year later has an ear infection. Oh and about urinating? my daughter use to urinate alot. it was like she was peeing all day but now what concerns me is that she isn't urinating half as much. One day I only seen her urinated twice. I make sure she has plenty of fluids, so I don't know. All I know is ever since this awful stomach virus came around that ended her up in the ER several times and then a week later strep throat, now an ear infection. The rash may be due to allergy except I have not changed are food or anything in our house and it keeps reoccuring. I don't give her dairy and we eat gluten free so I am not sure.

They are saying that this MRSA is causing ear, neck, and head infections of people of all ages. I am not saying that my daughter has that, but didn't now if you were aware of the latest findings and also everytime my daughter was in the ER with croupe, they would give her steroids and now it has hit the news that the use of these steroids are not good nor working besides the over use of antibiotics which my daughter has been both of these drugs many times since birth. I have a doc appointment with a GI at the University on the 3rd. I am going to extremely express my concerns and hope that they look further into her stomach issues and allergies etc.. I hate when doctors over look conditions that could be helped, when a child has autism. Your info has very important, Thank You

kari

01/22/2009 10:52 AM
hopie
hopie  

If you dont need referrals I would just make the appt with an allergist yourself.But if you do ,just tell your pediatrician that you want to take her to an allergist....They will do all the testing..I know a few kids that had to have tubes reinserted 2 or 3 times.Some children are just more prone than others.My son had a bad soy allergy so it really could be anything...Definately look into the reflux though...It has made a world of difference for us and especially with the constipation.I didnt think that it would but it really did..Good luck and let me know how its going.

03/13/2009 06:48 AM
muffinsmom

Hi, my son's 5 yrs. old, has autism. I googled fevers, found your statement and decided to join. Given the constant use of antibiotics, it's possible that there is yeast overgrowth. I used to think that was crazy, but I was willing to try anything as long as it wouldn't hurt my son. The doctor gave him diflucan, and after two month of use, and some aggrivated moments that were not fun. He actually sarted talking, he was alert, sang songs, I took videos and everything, my family was even amazed. I still have them on my phone to remind me of when he "came out". But then I gave him some NDf oral chelator, and it grew back his yeast and disappeared again. It's been years and I cannot get a doctor to give me that prescription yet. I'm getting a new doctor to see if maybe he will look into. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe in a "miracle action or pill" but there was something to this yeast overgrowth thing, I saw it with my own eyes.. anyways, the best to you, I just thought this might be worth looking into.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved