MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/29/2011 03:55 PM

Working and Having an Autistic Child

LoveJunkie83
LoveJunkie83  

Hi everyone I think this is my first post in this forum. I have a son who is four and has been diagnosed with autism for about two years. I just moved to my hometown after living in DC for two years when my husband was stationed there in the military. Now my husband is in Korea so we are back in our hometown. I got a temp job pretty much right away and yesterday was the first day my kids went to daycare and the first day the sitter lost my older son who is not autistic because she wasn't waiting outside her car at the bus stop and he didn't see her and got scared and started running around looking for an adult. Thank God my Dad and the apartment manager found him. Anyway, I am worried now about returning to work. My younger son with autism needs a lot of services now and with me working its hard to get to all of them and I worry about caregivers even that say they accept special needs kids giving him the attention he needs and frankly just keeping both my kids safe. However, we are not rich so I really think working is essential. Those of you with autistic kids my main question is how do you balance everything and trust your kids are in good hands?

11/29/2011 06:54 PM
JensVoice

Welcome to the group : )I am not a working mom, but I can imagine how stressful this must be for you. I hope that someone can offer you some good advice here.

11/30/2011 09:04 AM
BaltoKate
BaltoKate  

Hi LoveJunkie83 -

Boy, oh boy, do I hear you about being a working mom and trying to do what is best for your kids and have a quality of life. When American society they told us we could do anything (career, husband, great kids, white picket fence) I am sure that they did not have all this stuff in mind.....

My husband is not overseas, but he might as well be. He works as a camera man for TV news. The year I realized something was wrong with my oldest daughter, he was trying to get a promotion. There were many, many days he left the house before the kids were up, and did not get home until after they were in bed. Meanwhile, I knew something was very different about my then two-year old daughter. Meanwhile, we have an 8 week old infant daughter to contend with as well.

I was always a working mom, so I had already gone through the horrors of finding a decent nanny. Our then-nanny was obviously in over her head and did not know how to handle our PDD-NOS daughter. We went through a series of disasters before we bit the bullet and paid a lot of money for nanny service. The good news is that it was worth every penny (which my grandmother gave us). We found a wonderful woman who has a teenage son with Asperger's and bi-polar manic depression (talk about a combo). So, she knew the lingo and has just been a lifesaver.

We also went through our city school system to get services for our daughter. It just so happened that the only program that the city provided for high-functioning autistic kids was full up. So, the city had to pay for a non-public option. Our daughter has attended a wonderful school since she was 3.5 years old (she is now 5). The bus picks her up every morning at 7:30 and drops her off by 4. She gets the small class room environment, speech therapy, occupational therapy and social work all at that location. It is a much better option than a day-care center somewhere.

I suggest you call your local school system an should learn what your rights are as a parent. You might get lucky. If not, see how many therapy sessions are covered by your heath insurance. Try to find providers and get your son started with service. Early intervention is key.

Best of luck to you.....

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved