MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/12/2009 06:00 PM

My son has a new TIC.

momof5inny

It's with his eyes. It started about 9 months ago and it gets worse when his anxiety increases.

I took him to the Dr. last friday and she confirmed he absolutely can turn it off when he is distracted.

Anyone notice their child/children develop new tics?

01/12/2009 08:14 PM
metalynn

My son's tic started with making a "popping" fish sound. He is on Clonidine and that helps alot. He also has facial twitches from time to time.

Anxiety can increase tics. It's wondeful that he can turn his tics off when he is distracted, but does he know when it's happening?

Is your son on any medication for the tics?

01/12/2009 10:24 PM
spectrummum

Tics are a feature of autism spectrum disorders. Further complication in diagnosis is introduced because tics may not be adequately distinguished from the stims and stereotypies of the autism spectrum by all physicians.

tyou must see if it is a stim or a tick they are dealt with in differant ways

a tick will occur without warning or prompting

a stim usually happens when anxious or frustrtated or angry

01/13/2009 05:16 AM
momof5inny

He is aware of it, because he kept asking me "Why do I blink so much?"

It was bothering him so I took him to the Dr. to be sure it wasn't something else like really dry eyes or something neurologically.

The Dr. said I could give him eye drops (visine) as a placebo to make him think he was getting medicine to make it better.

01/13/2009 06:29 AM
spectrummum

then it is a stim not a tic

01/13/2009 06:50 AM
metalynn

Just because he's aware of it, why would that be a stim versus a tic?

01/13/2009 07:30 AM
spectrummum

a tic is involentary it happens out of the blue,but thier is self awarenss of it.The poster does not say it happens on its own nor does she say he controlls it.

My son also does this somtimes for hours but if he is distrcted it stops straight away.from my understanding of the question anyway,however I may have misread the question or not read with the same idea has you,but from the little that is posted in my line of thought that is a stim.She also states that it gets worse with anxiety,has stimming does.many use stimming to calm,soothe and clear the fog.and this what he seems to be doing from the post

Post edited by: spectrummum, at: 01/13/2009 07:40

02/03/2009 02:02 PM
momof5inny

I don't see how its voluntary with my son. Even when he seems to be relaxed he does it.

Should I mention this to the neurologist?

02/03/2009 11:20 PM
spectrummum

Stimming is not just for when anxious or stressed some stimming is most enjoyable.

Have hem checked out hun at least it will put your mind at ease

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved