MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/23/2008 08:00 PM

5 years old child with autism

tony12rony

Hello All,

My name is Mekael and I am currently a student at Sheridan College, who is studying to become and Educational Assistant, and also i have 5 years old child with autism. So I have had the privilege, in reading and learning more about the current issues around Autism and receiving a person perceptive. This has help me tremendously and I feel that it is important to support one another and share resources. Therefore I would like your help and expanding my knowledge.

I would like to have some ideas to help 5 years old child to be active participate in the regular daily routine both at school and at home.

thanks

Smile Smile Smile

10/25/2008 11:09 AM
spectrummum

To the tune of 'here we go round the mulberry bush':

"This is the way we (clap our hands/stamp our feet/jump up high, etc)(3 times!) This is the way we (clap our hands etc) on a cold and frosty morning."

(So, for example... " This is the way we clap our hands, clap our hands, clap our hands. This is the way we clap our hands on a cold and frosty morning."Wink - whilst doing the actions!

Old MacDonald had a farm.

(Hold up pictures of animals while you sing this, and see if your child can 'sing' the animals with you, or get your child to hold up the correct picture)

" Old MacDonald had a farm, ee ei ee ei oh, and on that farm he had a ...(hold up a picture and pause to see if your child can name it)... dog, ee ei ee ei oh. With a 'woof woof' here and a 'woof woof' there. Here a 'woof', there a 'woof', everywhere a 'woof woof'. Old MacDonald had a farm, ee ei ee ei oh."

To the tune of 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star'

"I can.... (run/jump/hop/skip, etc) fast you see, come and (.....) along with me. (Run......)"

For example:

(Whilst doing the actions)

"I can run fast you see, come and run along with me. Run run run run run run run, run run run run run run run. (It fits in with the tune!)

(As long as the actions and the words match, don't worry about what actions you use, they are all valid!)

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

Attention.

Developing good attention requires good listening and looking skills. This will help your child to learn and develop good language skills. Attention is so important when a child is learning, and especially when they go to school.

Build up your child's attention for longer periods of time each day or week.... try a lotto activity or a turn taking game, and try to make sure they sit for one more turn every week, or few days.

Listening.

Your child may hear well but listen badly. All children need to learn to listen, to learn language. Listening skills are very important for building up attention also. (see above)

Many children have difficulties with attention and listening, and below are some very general hints and tips on how you can help your child.

Hints and tips:

Before speaking make sure you have your child's attention.

When you play with your child, make sure you are somewhere quiet, and there are no distractions (such as the TV or radio)

Make sure your child wants to play! Check he/she is not tired or hungry.

It is better to play for short periods of time, often, rather than one long session once a week.

Try and play with your child at least once every day for 10-15 minutes (or two shorter sessions if your child cannot hold their attention for that long)

Praise all your child's attempts

Encourage(but do not force) your child to look at you

Choose activities your child is interested in and encourage them to play for longer periods of time.

Games!

Lotto. You have a board for each player with as many pictures on as you like arranged in a grid. You then take turns to pick from a pile of pictures and you have to match them to the pictures on your board. If you can't match one, it goes back on the bottom of the pile. First to match all their pictures is the winner!

'Shop bought' turn taking games. Any game where you have to take turns with another player is good for this. Then you simply do one 'therapy task' to get your go on the game...

The hungry caterpillar. Draw a large caterpillar (or make it a monster or whatever you like!) and feed 'pictures' (whatever you have for therapy) to it. When it has eaten them, you place them on the caterpillar's 'stomach'. This same principal applies to the next game....

Shoe-box monster. Draw a monster's head on a piece of paper about the same size as the lid of a shoe box. Cut a big mouth shaped hole in the shoe box (and your monster's head, obviously!) and stick the monster's head onto the shoe box so your child can 'post' things into it.

Post box. Same as the above but make your shoe box into a post box!

10/25/2008 11:14 AM
spectrummum

Classroom interaction

Points to note

• In the classroom, a child with autism will have difficulty reading the intentions of the teacher

and understanding why things happen the way they do.

• The child may find the social dimension of shared learning to be confusing, which is why

many children learn a great deal from educational computer programs. Computer programs

present information in a predictable, logical and sequential format, perfectly suited to the

unique learning style of the child with autism.

• The child with autism may not understand that he is part of a group and may ignore

instructions given to the class as a whole.

• The child will need to be taught how to pay attention, and especially what he needs to pay

attention to.

• A child with autism may have sensory issues that make him feel threatened by the close

proximity of other students. Group work may cause anxiety and the child may insist on

working alone. When sitting on the floor, sensory difficulties may cause problems, ie. he

dislikes the feel of the carpet or floor covering.

• The child may have difficulty with turn taking and waiting his turn. He may ask a lot of

irrelevant questions and constantly interrupt the teacher or other students.

• The child may seem to ‘switch-off' at times and seem incapable of tuning into classroom

activity.

• Be aware that a child who seems quiet and well-behaved may be most at risk in the

classroom. Problem issues that are unseen may well go unaddressed until intense

frustration results in verbal and/or physical outbursts.

What you can do

• The child will respond best in a classroom environment that is ordered and quiet, with an

atmosphere that is encouraging, not critical.

• It is important the classroom teacher has a positive and supportive approach toward the

child with autism; the other children will pick up on this and also adopt a welcoming attitude.

• Written instructions, or a combination of text and pictures should be used to support verbal

instructions wherever possible.

• Be explicit when giving verbal instructions – don't assume that the context in which it is given

will make the meaning clear.

• Make sure the child understands the daily routine with a written timetable reinforced with

images. See Visual Schedules for more information.

• Watch out for peers who may obviously or subtly annoy the child and ensure they do not sittogether. Some peers may feed off or feedback inappropriate behaviours to the child -

perhaps the child with autism likes these peers but the relationship is not necessarily

desirable.

• Consider taking the child out of the classroom to a quiet area for short periods to teach new

concepts in a setting free from distraction.

• Avoid doing things for the child that he can do himself.

• Take advantage of the number of quality educational computer programs available – if the

child has a particular interest in computers he could be rewarded for good behaviour with

extra time on the computer. A child who has difficulty with written tasks should be

encouraged to type and print his work.

• Don't automatically assume misbehaviour if the child is not responding to an instruction. He

needs to understand that he is part of the group. Say his name to get his attention before

giving instructions, even when you are giving group instructions.

• Don't assume that the child will read your intentions from your behaviour.

• Don't assume that the child will understand the meaning of any task or activity unless very

explicit instructions have been given.

• The child may not focus on what you consider to be the obvious focus of attention. Again, be

explicit. You might need to say, “Look at what I'm holding.” Not simply, “Look over here.”

• Sit the child in the most appropriate place in the classroom, where he is unlikely to be

disturbed by the movement and close proximity of others. See also Physical setup of the

classroom.

• If the child has difficulty sitting on the floor at group time, mark a special spot for him. If he

has sensory processing difficulties (ie. cannot tolerate the feel of the carpet) it may be

necessary to provide a cushion or piece of fabric (fluffy fabric, something soft) for him to sit

on. A stress ball for him to squeeze may also be effective.

• If the child resists working in small groups, have him work with an integration aide or

classroom assistant, if one is available. Then progress to working with one other child,

before attempting group work.

• Allow for periods of solitude. The social demands of the classroom can be demanding and

frustrating for a child with autism

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved