MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/05/2010 08:50 PM

Don't know what to do

2kids2luv
2kids2luv  

Today I had a meeting with my 6 year old sons teachers. They say he has reached all his IEP goals. They showed me some test they have done, for the most part he is average on them but he has a few that are below average. They say the ones he is below average on they think he can work on within his day in the classroom. He is in kindergarten and just started taking ADHD medication a month ago. He is very smart but I think this hinders him in getting help, like he is not autistic enough. I know I am very lucky that he is verbal and is high functioning but I just can't believe that they are now saying he doesn't qualifiy for any OT or Speech Therapy. Do you really think in 3 months he got enough of these classes and doesn't need anymore assistance? He still doesn't hold a pencil right or cut with scissors or button yet. They made me feel like I should be so happy he is just going to be in his regular class and doesn't need any help. Which should be great news, that is what we all want right? But those lower than average scores and now no extra help just doesn't feel right. Am I wrong? Should I just be happy with what they say, I mean he is only in kindergarten so maybe he doesn't need any help now but what about next year or the year after that? And now that they labeled him not qualifing for special services and non-disabled will it be harder to get him help in the future? Sorry this is so long but I want to be his fighter if that is what I should be doing. Thanks so much

10/06/2010 04:51 PM
2kids2luv
2kids2luv  

I took my son to the doctor today. He agrees with me that they should not be stopping services and he pointed out they did not even include aspergers in his diagnosis! Since he has been diagnosed with a form of autism in our state he qualifies for services. They can not consider him a child without disabilities! I am so angry! I don't know if they left that information out on purpose or somehow it got overlooked. He doesn't even have an EIP now. I am putting on my boxing gloves! Let me know if you have had similar experiences with public schools before. Thanks

10/06/2010 08:57 PM
metalynn

There are two different diagnosis to consider: the medical diagnosis and the educational diagnosis. A child can have a medical diagnosis on the autism spectrum, however; if their disorder does not affect their school performance, it is not included on their IEP.

Does your son have and IEP and is his autism on the IEP?

I understand your frustration. Oh, do I understand your frustration. I would request to see your son's records and the therapy that they did with him. Check it over and see what you think. If he does get discharged from therapies, you can always request a meeting with the school or a review of his IEP.

10/07/2010 05:05 AM
2kids2luv
2kids2luv  

He has had an IEP in the past but does not have one right now. What I don't understand is if he is still below average on 3 different testing scores how does he not qualify? They say they can work on these in the classroom during his normal day but with 20 other kids to worry about I am concerned that he won't. And how can they label him as non-disabled when the state says autism is a disability? I just don't want this to hurt him in the future!

10/07/2010 10:01 AM
missymoo918
missymoo918  

I haven't had a whole lot of experience with IEP yet because my son is only in preschool. My son is also high functioning and verbal. He does really well in most situations and isn't far behind at all as far as learning basic stuff like letters and numbers. Because Sam has a medical diagnosis and a diagnosis throught the school he will be able to hold on to his IEP. If they tried to take that away from him I would throw a fit!

My daughter is 10, she has severe ADD. She doesn't have an IEP but she has something very similar called a 504 plan. My daughter is on medication for her ADD for the first time this year and is doing GREAT!! The change is so drastic that there was some confusion about how we should list her struggles. I told everyone at the meeting that I wanted it documented as if she was NOT on her medication. That way if we decide at anytime to stop the medication we still have the 504 plan. It's frustrating when you have a child on the "cusp" so to speak. Ashton is a gifted child (the school wants her to test into the gifted program) but she has ADD. It's tricky setting up a learning plan for kids like this but they really do need it. It's up to us to be be pushy so that it happens!

Good luck with the IEP, please keep us posted. Do not give up. Document everything and keep all paperwork in a file so that you are ready when anything comes up.

10/08/2010 09:58 AM
KatrinaB
KatrinaB  

You should fight for an iep your child deserves to get the extra help! the doctor is right his aspergers should be taken into consideration in regards to his schooling. i would take in copies, again, of his diagnosis paperwork to the school and insist on a meeting to re address his needs. don't take no for an answer! the schools OT and speech therapists should do an evaluation with your son before the meeting. that way all the info is available at the time of the meeting. Good luck!

04/11/2012 04:04 PM
strongwilled

I do not understand at all about the kids being refused OT and Speech Therapy.. I had my son't IEP yesturday... I did not sign it.. I am completly frustrated... HOW IN THE WORLD CAN A DISABILITY NOT HINDER ANY EDUCATION????? WHEN A CHILD HAS A PROBLEM WITH ANY KIND OF DISABILITY IS HINDERS THEM ... THEY DON'T GET ON THE SCHOOL BUS AND IT GOES AWAY FOR 8 HRS AND THEN COMES BACK WHEN THEY GET HOME!!!! MY SON HAS DYSLEXIA , DYSGRAPHIA ON TOP OF ASPERGER'S... HE IS IN 4TH GRADE ... HE WRITES LIKE A KINDER... CAN'T SPELL AT ALL... HAS BEEN IN SPECIAL CLASSES WITH IEP FOR THE PAST YR... HE IS VERY DISORGANIZED, CAN'T STAY ON TASK ( LOOKING ALL OVER ROOM) AND SENSORY RESPONSE PROBLEMS???????? THIS IS ALL HELPED WITH OT THERAPY....AND SPEECH THERAPY HELPS A CHILD WITH LANGUAGE PROCESSING ... NOT JUST ARTICULATION?????? THEY WON'T GIVE HIM THAT EITHER.. HE DOESN'T QUALIFY.. WE HAD HIM EVALUATED IN EVERY AREA... FUNNY HOW HE DOESN'T QUALIFY FOR ANY THERAPY... BUT HE QUALIFIES FOR SPECIAL ED!!!! HIS THERAPIST THAT HE MEETS WITH EVERY WEEK SAYS HE SHOULD HAVE BOTH!!! THEY DON'T TAKE ANYTHING FROM THE DOCTOR'S DIAGNOSIS.. OR THERAPIST... THEY DO THERE OWN AND TELL YOU IF THEY QUALIFY OR NOT??????? WHY DO THEY EVEN HAVE SPECIAL EDUCATION???? AND WHAT HAPPENED TO THE NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND ACT??????

04/11/2012 04:18 PM
strongwilled

My son was diagnosed with ADHD for 3 yrs.. K -3.. was on Concerta.. It made him so much worse and wasn't lasting for the extended time is was suppose too.. Our Ped doc went to a convention in California..last yr.. and it was on so many children being misdiagnosed with ADHD and given meds.. but had underlying issue.. had my son tested at Children's Hospital to find out he had Asperger's.. not ADHD.. alot of these children are diagnosed with ADHD because Asperger's causes very high anxiety and frustration because of the sensory overload they have.. with sight, sound and smells!!!! The Ped and doc from Children's Hospital stopped ADHD meds instantly and faxed a letter to the school... he acted much better..I am not suggesting that you take him off any meds.. just sharing my experience... but I do feel it would help to ask your doctor.... He is now on 3mg of meletonin at bed time.... 1000 mg of fish oil... and vitamins with extra D... we watch foods... gluten free... and he is in therapy once a week... with heart math therapy... He is doing so well... except for the frustration at school due to a stupid IEP... we are in the battle right now about that.. Hope this helped..

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved