MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/19/2010 12:35 PM

Laughing for no reason?

Zenzele
Zenzele  

My daughter is a hoot sometimes. She will wake up in the middle of the night at 3am and I hear her laughing her tail off like there is a party in her room and she forgot to tell us. My friend told me her son does the same thing....crazy. So then I thought...I wonder if a lot of ASD kids do this. Anyone else have this type of character for a kid?

Post edited by: Zenzele, at: 02/19/2010 12:39 PM

02/19/2010 09:10 PM
briansmom
briansmom  

Brian does the exact same thing. Only he has crawled in bed with us by that time! It's cute, but it goes on for LONG periods sometimes W00t Glad to know that it happens to others out there. Shell suggested that perhaps something is stimulating to them... I am still trying to figure out what that is with Brian!

02/23/2010 10:53 AM
amyfruity

My Brian does this too at times. He did it almost every night that we were at Disney World....He'd wake up in the middle of the night and just start laughing uncontrollably. We figured it was due to the intense amount of stimulation during the days at the park.....That was in December. I'll hear him every once in a while now but it definitely isn't like it was in Florida.

04/02/2010 10:04 PM
OwensMom
OwensMom  

My 4 year old son also has uncontrollable fits of laughter. Although it has not happpened in the middle of the night. He usually does it when it's time to go to bed. Think of it this way, the sound of the laughter is better than cries. As long as she isn't hurting herself, let her laugh on!

04/03/2010 04:04 AM
Magistra
Magistra  

My Matthew does it all of the time. He runs movie scenes in his mind (and out loud when he's really into it), and I figured out that he is laughing at something he sees in his head. It is usually pretty funny, and I agree with OwensMom that, as long as he isn't hurting himself, go for it.

04/03/2010 11:29 AM
briansmom
briansmom  

I read an interesting article about "autistic laughter" that stated that the laughter from autistic children is different that the laughter that most of us exhibit the majority of the time. I can't remember exact wording, but it basically said that the children with autism experience "real laughter" the kind that comes from within from pure happiness and glee. The type most of us show to society is more of a "controlled laughter", basically a socially acceptable more put on laughter that comes from the vocal cords. In other words, these kids laugh because they are happy or are thinking of something that tickles them and they don't hold back. After reading that, I try to see the "inappropiate laughter" as a joy, because after all it means that Brian is in a good mood and blissfully happy, and what more could I ask than that!

04/04/2010 08:51 AM
Magistra
Magistra  

I read the same article. Autistic kids don't engage in social or non-vocal laughter like the rest of us. More power to them!

04/06/2010 10:53 AM
JensVoice

Jenna had always done this....she would wake up every night and just laugh. We had a stool sample taken and she had an abnormal build up of yeast in her stool. I kid you not, a week into the diflucan, this completly stopped! And this was something she had done for a year straight, so we absolutly do not see it as a coincidence. not the cause for all kids i;m sure, but in her case, it absolutly was the cause for her strange laughter through the night..

04/07/2010 12:09 AM
Swampsong
Swampsong  

Yeah AD sometimes giggles in his sleep and I've often wondered what he's dreaming about.The closest I've ever gotten to finding out was a week or so ago when he woke up going on about flying and this conversation ensued;

"Did you dream you were flying?"

"..."

"Did you see yourself flying?"

"..."

"Were you flying"

"Yes!"

"With your arms like this (flapping my arms) or did you have wings?"

"Wings! My friend! Flying!"

"Oh you had wings?"

"Yes!"

"And your friend was flying too?"

"Yes!"

"Was it scary or fun?"

"..."

"Was it fun?"

"Yes!"

Smile

Post edited by: Swampsong, at: 04/07/2010 12:10 AM

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved