MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/12/2010 07:52 AM

Chewing food then spitting it out...PLEASE HELP!

airjaym
airjaym  

My son..for the most part has never had any problems with eating. Here within the last few days he has not been eating much at all. He will chew food...stuff his mouth full of food then just spit it out..onto plate..in cup..in trash. I'm not sure how to approach it. Maybe his throat is sore..looked at it and it doesnt look red..but I'm not a dr so I know that may mean nothing. Maybe he has seen someoen do it at school...just not sure. Of course want my son to eat cause I know it can harm him if he doesnt. Does anyone have any idea why he may be doing this. Again this is brand new..never have had any problems with eating before.

02/12/2010 08:11 AM
okudaisi
okudaisi  

how old is he now hun?

does he use PECS?

does he understand wh questions

Could you ask him why he does it

the first thing that came to mind was maybe its a sensory thing, he needs to have his mouth full

02/12/2010 11:30 AM
airjaym
airjaym  

He is 7 now. For the most part no he doesnt use pecs. He can communicate a little what he wants. He does not understand if I ask him. I was thinking the same...a new sensory thing cause yes he will fill his mouth then spit it out. Just bothers me that he ask for the food and all then doesnt eat it..or eats very little over the last couple of days.

02/12/2010 11:41 AM
carlden
carlden  

my eight year old son with autism does that very thing,mostly when it comes to meat,he either just will not eat or he will chew it then spit it out

02/12/2010 12:42 PM
airjaym
airjaym  

What throws me off is that its the things that he normally eats...what he ask for. Its nothing new that I'm trying. All the same things that he normally eats.

02/13/2010 09:46 AM
angieandsara

my son has always had eating issues. We took him for a swallow study and found out that his tongue doesn't move like ours. i have always had to purree his food. my son gets these cans of carnation breakfast drinks from our pharmacy which is covered by medicaid or you can purchase carnation instant breakfast drink from the cereal aisle from your supermarket. My son prefers to drink so I also give his fusion juice or any fruit and vegetable combination drink. i hope i was helpful.

02/13/2010 09:53 AM
spectrummum

he does eat it in a way he chews the goodness out and throws away the shell,it is not being wasteful

I choke on many foods and the thought of choking stops me eating almost everything,sensory issues of the mouth are a big issue for many on the spectrum.

If a child is very sensitive to certain textures such as soft', 'slimy', 'squishy', then he will naturally tend to avoid foods . Each child's sensitivity is different and we need to be aware of types of foods that may be bothersome. My main sensitivity is with taste and the mouth in general I am not particularly fond of eating and there are only a few foods which I actually will look for, it would be much easier to simply have food in my stomach without having to actually chew it up. The sound of chewing irritates me so that could also be a factor

New foods introduced in extremely small quantities along with a much desired food. For example, if the new food is half a carro, and the desired food is a biscuit, tell the child, "Finish carrot, then have biscuit". Similarly with other foods also you can use phrases like "one bite, then biscuit", or "eat carrot, then biscuit, . With children whose ability to tolerate is very little, you can even begin by asking the child to "take one lick" sniff,or "taste once" and then promptly allow him to receive the favoured food. Each time the child tries even the smallest bit of a new food, cheer and praise him

02/13/2010 10:01 AM
okudaisi
okudaisi  

as usual spectrum mum to the rescue, a new breed of superheroes1

02/13/2010 10:29 AM
spectrummum

you are all superheros you are all so awesome.

you just need to remeber that

Post edited by: spectrummum, at: 02/13/2010 10:45 AM

02/17/2010 10:03 AM
airjaym
airjaym  

I think that is a very good idea to get him to try new food also. I like that idea alot. Well I took son to ER after watching his behavior (was pushing a week without eatching) and they did a x-ray of stomach and found that he was serverly constipated. The dr stated he wanted to eat but knew if he swalloed it would just fill up stomach even more. He has been taking meds since then and has been using bathroom and is starting to eat small meals again. The dr was very familiar with autism as I explained the reading I've done and its stated children with autism digestive system is different than others. Well she also explained that kids around my son age don't go when they need to esp if they are always on the go..busy bodies...which my child is.

The big problem it seems that I am running into now is all the behaviors thats are associated with my child and autism are also considered the same for kids his age. His whole life all I've known is autism and behaviors that come along with it. Now it is getting very hard to tell what is what. I dont want to downplay things. If he is doing things because of autism then I have to attack it as such. If he is doing things cause he is a 7yr old then I have to attack it that way. It's just starting to get a little hard to separate the 2. Such as the inccident with the food. After taking him to ER and they tell me whats wrong..I think ok..thats because of autism..well no...most kids his age are the same way. So its just starting to toss a little confusion in it all.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved