MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/17/2008 10:37 AM

sleep habits

joycem

My autistic grandson gets up during the night often getting in someone else's bed. He has on occasion turned his dad's C-pap machine for sleep apnea. Any ideas on how to get him to sleep all night?

06/17/2008 11:05 AM
MotherofBoys
MotherofBoys  

Our older two have Night Terrors and the only thing we found to help (and it is hollistic) is Calms Forte for kids, by Hylands (the teething tablet people).

We have been using it on the twins for a year and a half now and it is wonderful!!!

Here is the link to their homepage: http://www.hylands.com/

and to the page talking about the Calms Forte: http://www.hylands.com/products/calms4kids.php

You can find it at Whole Foods, Kmart and I think Rite Aid.

If you belong to Amazon Prime, you can purchase it there and have free shipping (that is what we do).

06/17/2008 11:40 AM
metalynn

I brought my 7 year-old son to a Pediatric Sleep doctor last year. (Amazing, you think of these types of doctors for adults and not children). My son has wanted to be in our bed since he was a few days old and frequently wakes up during the night. After explaining our sitation to the doctor and things we have tried (moving the bed in the room in different positions, dream catchers, Benadryl, putting our sheets on his bed, earlier bed times, etc.), he explained to me that this has been a problem that he is beginning to see more and more of and a sleep study was not something that would benefit us. He went on to say that some children require only so many hours of sleep each night and gave us a formula to work with:

1. Determine how many hours Justin actually slept each night.

2. Determine what time he got up in the morning (or what time he needed to get up)

3. Subtract the number of hours of actual sleep from the wake up time. This was time to actually put him to bed at night. He also said to not let him lay around and watch t.v., but to keep him active until bed time. He said this condenses his sleep so that he could have a better nights sleep and that it eventually "trains the brain" to sleep straight through and not the constant waking up. He also suggested using Melatonin and that also helped.

Shannon

06/17/2008 01:37 PM
spectrummum

For me sleep is not neccessaty I can go days without any,because my mind is constantly in thought My head will not shut off long enough to go into sleep mode.

Even when I seem to be asleep I am still seeing colours and shapes and am up and down all night. There are various versions of sleep training methods you may have read or heard about. Basically after the bedtime routine is done and your child is in his bed or crib, leave the room without long drawn out words or further attempts at touching the child in any way.

If the child is upset and obviously not sleeping, wait a few minutes and then go back into the child's room to check on him/her. Checks involve going back into the child's room and briefly (not more than a minute, preferably less) touching, rubbing or maybe giving a “high five”, “thumbs up” or hug for an older child who better responds to these gestures. Gently but firmly say, “it's okay, it's bedtime, you are okay” or a similar phrase and then leave the room until it is time for the next check or until the child falls asleep.

Using this technique consistently is generally harder on the parent then it is on the child. It could take a couple of hours the first few nights. It is important to know that it is very likely the child's behavior will get worse for a few days or more before it improves. This is the child testing the change and trying to bring the old routine back. For some children who are older and not genuinely tired at a reasonable bedtime, a routine of staying in the bed or in the room quietly may be appropriate for these children. Sleep training methods can still be applied in these situations. To ensure your child is sleepy at bed time

Restricting sleep:

1. From sleep diary, see average hours of sleep per night

2. Calculate 90% of this and make this the new sleeping time (delay bedtime and/or waking time); never restrict below five hours

3. If lying awake, occupy in another room until sleepy

4. Avoid naps in day/oversleeping at weekend

5. After a week, move settling/waking time by 15 minutes - continue until desired pattern of sleep occurs.

Children who insist on parents' presence

Graded withdrawal:

1. Lie next to child on bed for three nights

2. Lie on mattress next to bed for three nights

3. Move mattress closer to door every three nights

4. Sit on chair in bedroom at door with door open for three nights

5. Sit outside door whilst still visible to child for three nights

6. Sit outside door not visible to child for three nights

7. Sit outside room with door closed for three nights.

There are two types of sleeping medication one will help to get to sleep the other to stay asleep,though if you decide to go for meds please speak intensly to your docto because some side effects can be worse than the problem its self.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved