MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/27/2012 01:02 PM

Screeching

Lolo24

Hello everyone,

My son is 3 1/2 and we are just starting the process of getting him looked at for autism. I need some advice from parents as drs you wait months to see them.

My son is in this stage of screeching so loud it gives me instant headache. How do I stop him from doing this? I been keeping an eye on what triggers it but there isn't anything! He does it when he's happy n playing with toys. I tried talking to him saying " no" but it doesn't do anything!!!!!!!!

Please help!

He just started daycare as they advised me it would help him, but I have a feeling they are getting annoyed with him doing it at daycare and I'm not sure if I should take him out of daycare

Dizzy

11/28/2012 09:49 AM
mem1573

Welcome to the group. I have 3 daughters, my 5 year old and almost 4 year old both have autism. They both have vocal stims including screetching. I think its one of those things that diminish more with time. my 5 year old does it sooo mcuh less now that she is older. Is your son at all verbal? I just patiently and calmly acknowledge the reason (excitement or anger) and ask questions "does _____ make you happy?" and so on. Just constantly encourge conversation. A lot of the time, they dont answer me, but I think that it helps in the long run. SOmetimes snapping a loud "NO!" will create more stress and make the screetching worse as they try to self soothe.

Although my oldest daughter was diagnosed early, My middle daughter wasnt diagnosed until 3 1/2. We first had her in a regular 1/2 day pre k. The teachers had no experience in woking with kids on the spectrum and they had no idea on how to work with her. They kept her in time out most of the day and thought she was just a bad kid who needed more discipline. She was actually close to being kicked out bc of her behavior, so we pulled her out. That situation was not a good one for her! I recomend going to your school district and having your son evaluated through them. They will do an ADOS and other tests for Autism. If your son qualifies, he will then go to a pre k with teachers and aides who have experience in working with kids on the spectrum. Some school districts are better than others, but I think that a special program is better than a NT class with zero support or understanding. After we got the school diagnosis, we took the results to a psych who did his own eval and gave a formal medical diagnosis. We did this bc we have heard horror stories where the school revokes eligibility on kids who once qualified through the school if they do not have a rock solid medical diagnosis. If th school doesnt think he qualifies, I would still have him further evaluated by a professional just in case.

If you pull him out of the program he is in now, there are other ways to get him around other kids. Mommy and me classes or even just taking him to the park or mall play area. I think thats a safer route until you know what exactly he'ss struggeling with.

Good luck with everything, I know this time is a confusing one, but it will get better! Talking to other moms and dads was my biggest saving grace when we were new to the world of autism. Smile

11/28/2012 09:56 AM
Lolo24

My son doesnt speak at all, only time he does say is "no" when we fight to get a hair cut or drs look in his ears. I put him in a daycare that soeech theropy suggested. I just called to try And get a worker for him while hes in daycare. I will forsure take your adbice Nd ask for that trsting thru the school.

11/28/2012 10:02 AM
Lolo24

I have been keeping track to when he screechs and its when he is having fun. I do believe he likes the feeling because he also makes a hissing sound (breathing in air thru his teeth) but its very loud! I just was hoping theres a way i can try to control the screeching but i hope it passes.

I have tried to distracted him with toys but he REFUSES to play with others!!! I try to play cars etc with him and he pushes me away. When we have kids over he just sits in corner and plays by himself not with other kids or adults. I have tried everything! I havent stopped trying i will keep doing it ( if he starts to get upset Nd angry i will back away) today is his second day in daycare and he still hasnt played with any other kids.

11/28/2012 10:54 AM
mem1573

My almost 4 year old refuses to play with other kids as well. For my daughter, kids are living exapmles of everything she hates - unpredictablity, loudness, out of her realm of control....she instead growls at them if they get close :/

I think the play is going to be something that you have to address first on his terms. Like participating in whatever it is that he enjoys, even if its not "normal play". Start slowly...think of it as playing next to him and not "with" him. He will notice, even if he doesnt respond. Some kids need more of people trying to go into their world rather than always trying to pull them out. I think it builds trust and teaches them the fun of interacting with others. Some kids are much harder than others to engage...but it can happen! My oldest really liked mirrors when she was younger. I had a non breakable one that she would sit in front of making onlu slight movements. At first, she hated when I tried to get involved in it. But after awhile, she let me Wink Not my idea of fun and not what other kids her age were doing, but it was fun to her and a way we could play together. Change your expectations. He may never want to play cars with you...but he just might open up and play in his way WITH you! Just keep on trying....which I know by your posts that you will!

11/28/2012 11:01 AM
Lolo24

Thank you i will try that!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved