MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/28/2009 04:07 PM

Got new meds!

JPike68

Went to my doctor today. I'm to continue taking the Singulair and the Zyrtec, and the Omega Fish Oil supplement, and then I'm adding Advair and a course of prednisone, and then also switched from the ProAir HFA to the Ventolin HFA. I used the Ventolin when I got home before I took the Advair, and it seems like my doctor was right it did work better, so hopefully this combination will work for me, I'm just worried about how much it's going to cost monthly lol.

01/28/2009 07:54 PM
fluffyluggage
fluffyluggage  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Oh, JPike,

I'm sorry you are in a financially difficult time right now, but I can sympathize. You didn't say when your insurance kicks in, but until it does, some states offer prescription cards if you don't have insurance, and it's not always based upon income. You may be able to qualify for it, so take a look around, and see what is offered. I know you were saying you didn't qualify for assistance, but sometimes, you can get those NOT based off of income. Just take a look and see what you can find out! Just a thought. It's usually a state plan, from what I'm thinking of.

Good luck to you, I hope it works. I'm taking Singulair and Advair for maintenance as well, and I think it's a good plan for me! I hope adding the extra Ventolin will do the trick for you, too...

*hugs*

Jen Smile

01/28/2009 08:54 PM
JPike68

Thanks so much, I told my doctor that monday night at volleyball the ProAir did nothing for me. I wheezed my way through the games, it was terrible, I've only once before had a rescue inhaler not work and that was when I had to go to the ER for my asthma, and I was having an attack, this time I wasn't having an attack, I was just consistently wheezing, not getting better or worse. Really weird. It is especially aggravating because I've been working out more, and in the last year and a half I dropped around 50lbs. I'm trying to get more healthy, but my asthma and my varicose veins (another thing losing weight and working out should help with!) just seem to be getting worse.

I hope that it was because I didn't have the right medicine combo. I've read that Singulair isn't really focused for Asthma and doesn't always work really well for everyone. Hope Advair does!

I have to say the Ventolin is really great, I took it earlier and I've been wheeze free for what, 6 hours now? Woohoo!! Smile

01/29/2009 03:07 AM
belinda1217

I'm an Advocate

Jpike,

I hope all the new drugs do help you.

It took trial error of a lot of drugs before we found the right ones for me.

Belinda

01/29/2009 06:53 PM
fluffyluggage
fluffyluggage  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

JPike,

Singulair is great when you have asthma AND allergies, from what I understand. I could be wrong, but that's my understanding... I do hope the medication combo that you're on will help, as you said! As Belinda said, too, it can often take a trial and error with many drugs before you find what works for you. We're all so individual that you just never know. It's great that you've been wheeze-free for 6 hours! Let's hope it keeps up!

*hugs*

Jen Smile

04/03/2009 10:24 PM
Nickieg

I've been on Singulair and advair it seems to be working good. The new HFA rescue inhalers don't work as good as the old ones.

04/04/2009 01:04 AM
belinda1217

I'm an Advocate

Nickieg,

welcome to the forum.

I'm glad singulair and advair work good for you.

Belinda

04/11/2009 04:22 PM
FEFE8322

I did not like taking advair not only because of the cost but from the weird side effect. I would take it in the morning and all day my voice would go in and out like a teenage boy. lol. Sometimes it made my throat sore too. Anyhow, I hope the new routine helps you. I found that taking an otc antihistamine helped a lot. I take generic claritin A.K.A. loritidine from walmart..very cheap. Good luck friend Wink

04/11/2009 08:04 PM
belinda1217

I'm an Advocate

mustlovedogs,

I take albuterol,Qvar, and they both work very well for me.

Belinda

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved