MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/22/2008 06:37 PM

Son with asthma as well as myself

fibromommy
fibromommy  

Hello. I am 25 years old and have had asthma my entire life. I have been tested for cystic fibrosis a couple of times because of the severity of it. I have had 2 collapsed lungs, lots of scar tissue, pneumonia every year, and a pulmonary embolism before.

My 4 year old son also has been lucky enough in the gene pool to have asthma. He has been hospitalized at least once a year each year since he was born due to asthma exacerbations. He also gets pneumonia at least once a year and had RSV when he was 2. He is on nebulizer treatments and inhalers. I am on Singulair and an inhaler.

It is scary when my son has an attack and we have to rush him to the ER. He hates the treatments, but he does them. He loves to run and play and it is sometimes so hard to watch him struggle to keep up with his brother, who they are thinking is going to develop asthma due to his severe case of respiratory distress last year. He was hospitalized for a week and was on a nonrebreather mask all the time because his pulse ox wouldn't go above 90% without it. That was so scary.

Anyway, I have decided that I probably need some support because of all the asthma issues in our house. My husband has chronic bronchitis from being a preemie and all my kids seem to show symptoms of some form of asthma, even though the severity differs from each of them.

I look forward to meeting all of you and sharing these experiences together!

12/16/2008 04:06 PM
dragonfly29
dragonfly29  

I am 29 and have had asthma since birth. I don't have kids so I may not be the one you want to talk too. I can tell you that it does help to make jokes and laugh whenever you can with you kids about the medical stuff. I know it is very important but sometimes you just need to make a joke about it. You have been there and done that so you may know what I mean. I still take nebs and hate them but I like to watch TV or read when I do. My mom used to read to me when I was little while I was on the neb that may help your son look 4-ward to the neb. I know it is hard to see your son not be able to do much but don't let him feel sorry for himself all the time. Let him do as much as the "normal" kids do. My mom did with me and I really did not realize how sick I was till these last couple of years. I hope this helps. Wink

12/17/2008 03:34 AM
belinda1217

I'm an Advocate

I'm 47 had asthma and chronic bronchitis all my life and they've both gotten worse as I've gotten older.I can tell when I forget my singulair and I also use Qvar .

The only time I've seen an E/R because of my asthma was when lived in California in the desert every time there was a sand storm I had a ended up in E/R.

albuterol works for for me and I'm staying with something I use more twice a day when my asthma acts up.

Belinda

12/17/2008 01:24 PM
fibromommy
fibromommy  

I used to be in and out when we lived in Tennessee and then in Ypsilanti, Michigan, but when we moved out in the country, my asthma improved a lot.

My son is doing a lot better this past year since they started him on the steroids through the nebulizer. He hasn't been in the hospital once this whole year, which is remarkable for him.

12/17/2008 08:41 PM
dragonfly29
dragonfly29  

Funny you said you had trouble in Cal. When I was growing up my Doc told me to move to Col. or the dry hot states. We never did but when I got a better doc he said don't bother because once I got use to the Allergies there I would just get sick in 6 months. So I do not suggest moving to get better you may get worst.Wink

12/18/2008 02:35 AM
belinda1217

I'm an Advocate

dragonfly,

I'm allergic to dust and I lived in the desert.

so it didn't help when there were sand storms.

I'm from Georgia that's one thing we don't have sandstorms.

Belinda

12/18/2008 01:47 PM
fluffyluggage
fluffyluggage  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Ah, the dust storms! I remember my first dust storm in Texas. It was incredibe. We were living in New Mexico, and driving through Texas. Tumbleweeds were flying everywhere, and you couldn't see 2 inches in front of your fact, and people just acted like it was the most normal thing in the world! It's incredible!! You're right, Belinda, we don't have the duststorms in GA, but there's still dust everywhere, which you just won't get away from no matter where you go! LOL

I can't even dust in the house, cuz I react so badly. IDK about any of the rest of you. But I'm really bad.

*hugs*

Jen

12/19/2008 02:32 PM
fibromommy
fibromommy  

It is funny to hear of dust storms. I live in Michigan we just got over a foot of snow. I am starting to forget what dust even looked like or roads for that matter!!! LOL. The cold weather actually helps my asthma because it keeps the dust and stuff down to a minimum and the cold, while affects it somewhat and the keeping doors closed, just works better for me than heat, but my husband has the opposite problem. His gets worse in the cold, but probably because he has to be out in it a lot more than me.

12/20/2008 05:25 AM
Gabbysmom

Hello, my name is Kyla. My daughter Gabrielle is 7 and has asthma and IgA deficiency alond with acid reflux. She has been in the hospital one week before thanksgiving for the past three years. The first year it was pneumonia, the second they thought she had meningitis,had a spinal tap, the third she had a stomach virus and became severly dehydrated in a course of illness that only started 10 hours prior to her admission. She hasn't weighed mre than 50 pounds. every time she reaches fifty, she cheers. Then she gets sick and she is knocked back down to about forty-seven. Up until this year, my daughter Kaitlyn who has always been perfectly healthy now has exercise induced asthma. It is crazy each year. This yearwas the scariest due to our four day hospital stay. Nice to meet you.

12/20/2008 10:52 AM
fibromommy
fibromommy  

Hi Kyla. Nice to meet you too. I am sorry to hear of your struggles. My son, Ryan, has been in the hospital for a week every year of his life, save this one, and it isn't over yet, so I am knocking on wood and hoping to make this the first year ever. My other son, Cameron, had been in the hospital for a week on a nonrebreather mask for oxygen because he couldn't get his saturations over 90%. Sad It is hard to watch someone so little struggle so hard.

If you ever want to talk or just vent or anything, feel free to PM me anytime. I do try to check it regularly. Take care and Merry Christmas and I hope she does well and makes it over 50 pounds!!! Smile Scary...definitely! Hang in there and I am glad you joined the group!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved