MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/05/2008 06:59 AM

IS any one's asthma fully controlled year round?

belinda1217

I'm an Advocate

It doesn't matter for me.

I'm allergic to so much I an have an attack anytime.10 months out of the year actually with the trees and pollen and flowers.

I also have allergies to things also inside and out .

mostly out.

SO I usually just have my inhaler with me.

Belinda

10/05/2008 06:09 PM
blueangel

I have allgeries and sinus problems year round it seems, the doctor dx me with asthma and bronchitis few years back. I have inhaler and use advair. I still have alot problems, especially in the fall and spring. Sometimes it is so bad the dr. puts me on predisone for awhile at a low dose. I hope you feel better soon, I understand how frustrating this is, not being able to breathe, and having ear,throat and face pain.

12/16/2008 04:35 PM
dragonfly29
dragonfly29  

Wow is it possible to have control all year?Laughing

I never have a good time. I live in east TX. were we have a yellow season in the spring. It is when everything turns yellow due to pine pollen. Not a fun time for me or anyone really.Sick

12/16/2008 04:46 PM
fluffyluggage
fluffyluggage  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I haven't been fully controlled since I started on a daily inhaler. I have been allergy tested, and I'm allergic to just about everything. I tested positive to 38 out of 45 allergens, I want to say, and I tested positive to at least one, if not multiple, thing(s) out of every class of items that I was tested for. I am allergic to dust mites, pollen (trees and grass), molds, cats, and dogs. So, to get away from everything I'm allergic to, I'd need to live in a bubble! LOL This also means year-round allergies. Funny thing is, when the yellow pine pollen coats everything, that doesn't seem to bother me, cuz that's one of the few trees I don't seem to be allergic to! Wink

I tried allergy injections for a while, but I reacted to them repeatedly, and they had to keep diluting them. For me, it was a time and money hassle, and with the reactions, I didn't feel it was worth it, so I discontinued them. I didn't feel the benefit was worth the risks or the hassle.

So, I live on allergy and asthma meds. I can tell a difference in my breathing if I don't take my allergy meds, too! Smile

And of course, I live in Ga, the worst place you could possibly live if you have allergies and asthma!! Tongue

*hugs*

Jen

Post edited by: fluffyluggage, at: 12/16/2008 16:50

12/17/2008 06:14 AM
Snowball

I have the worst time obviously if I get to close to something that triggers an attack but I seem to have the WORST time year-wise in October/November when the leaves are getting dead and dying and falling off the trees. Don't know if this has to do with anything or not. Who knows? Docs can't seem to tell me anything definitive. Ever cold--Snowball

12/18/2008 04:02 PM
MaryR
MaryR  

I don't know what you mean by "fully controlled" but for the last couple of years I have done remarkably well asthma wise. No ER trips or any of that, and I have only had to use my inhaler a couple of times and those were usually related to food allergies (otherwise known as my own fault).

That is the good part, the bad part is how I have done it. I have had a chronic headache for the last 2 and a half years and light and sound hurt so I avoid going out if I can. I am allergic to all sorts of things (indoor and out, but outdoor are worse in general), so staying inside my own house nearly all the time, but taking all the same meds that I used to take when I interacted with the world has improved my asthma a lot, but I certainly don't recommend it.

I wouldn't say that it is fully controlled becuase it can still surprise me every now and then, but I am confident that I can control it when it does come up.

12/19/2008 04:22 AM
belinda1217

I'm an Advocate

Mary,

fully controlled with your asthma is no E/R visits and not even having to use your inhaler.

For me it'd be my allergy shots working with all the other meds I take for my asthma and not having any problems like having use my inhaler.

using your inhaler is definitely not controlled.

Belinda

12/19/2008 02:38 PM
MaryR
MaryR  

Ok, then I am not quite there, but getting close. Maybe next year.

11/16/2011 01:31 PM
rosepedal
rosepedal  

Belinda,

Regarding my asthma, I have not had an ER trip in about three years. It took me a long time to get here. I take 5 meds daily, for my asthma alone. I have many allergies and take meds for those as well. I have had asthma my whole life and that goes back a long time. Were talking since the the 60's and 70's. As a child there was not much that they could do. Now I am 51 and doing well. Is it completely controlled? No, and probably never will be. I still use my rescue inhaler occasionally. But the ER trips have stopped. I am on a good medication program and asthma plan, and that alone is very important. I work with my dr and visit with him almost monthly. We talk about how often I use my inhaler, I get flu and phnemonia shots when I should. I eat healthy and try hard to avoid the triggers. If you can do all of those things you will have better control of you asthma. The main idea is to not let it control you but you control it. I don't like having asthma, and knowing that I could have an attack at any time is not comforting. However, I have severe asthma. Knowing this I try hard to do whatever I can to control it. Keep in mind that asthmatics will have set backs occasionally. You may get a cold or a flare up. See a dr when you do. Try not to let it bring you down. Just know how to recognize when an attack happens and do what you can to control it. Remain diligent and pay close attention to your breathing. Soon you will have better control, but possibly never complete control. Again I am not a professional, I speak from experience. I have been through many attacks and tried many meds. It may take some time to know what will work best for you. Just keep at it and don't give in or give up. Just keep track of what you do when you have an attack, what the triggers are and communicate with your dr. I wish you luck and hope that one day you will gain better control.

11/25/2011 07:54 PM
Raoul
RaoulPosts: 4009
VIP Member

I think my asthma is fully controlled.

two pulminary doctors have now told me tht i do not have asthma any longer. Ha - just wait til it gets a little colder out. We will see.

I have stopped taking the long acting albuterol, and the steroid pufffer - both. It has been more than a months now. And I am still doing good.

I have been working hard to increase my cardio at the gym for the last almost 3 years - and am now at 50 minutes 4 times a week.

The pulmo told me that sometimes people have an inflamation of the lungs from something else which finally clears up and they are no longer symptomatic.

works for me. But my son is a doctor and he has told me that they are both (the pulminary doctors) nuts.

hugs, Raoul

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved