MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/12/2012 04:02 PM

taking prednisone for just a cough

mem5264

Does anyone just take prednisone for a cough. If i dont take it i cough 24/7. Not happy with taking steroids but better then coughing and having sore ribs.

04/12/2012 04:55 PM
Raoul
RaoulPosts: 4012
VIP Member

HI

When I got a cold in january - I was coughing pretty badly.

SO my first round of prednisone was for the cough.

Took it for 12 days.

Stopped for 2 weeks

The second round of prednisone was for wheezing very badly.

SO . in answer to your question, yes - coughing is a symptom of not being able to breathe.

SO is wheezing .

Both are caused by having a restricted airway.

Raoul

04/12/2012 11:06 PM
mem5264

ive had asthma since a child and its been controlled for almost 4 years now with the xolair injections, singulair and symbicort. This cough started in Nov and they kept treating it as a respiratory infection, after 8 rounds of antibodiocs and prednisone my infectious dr told me to just try the prednisone with out the cipro and see if the cough would go away. Sure enough it did. dont know why this is going on but better then coughing 24/7

04/13/2012 07:30 AM
bubblelivin
bubblelivin  
I'm an Advocate

They head my on steriod for almost 5 years straight before I couldnt handle it any more and they switched me to methotraxte and im slowly coming off the steriods

04/13/2012 08:43 PM
pinkapple
pinkapple  

Hi

I'm don't like steroid too, but it has helped me a lot. W/o it, the cough is really bad, like you said, 24/7. But I'm taking hidrocort.

04/13/2012 10:08 PM
mem5264

yes the cough got so bad i strained muscles on my sides, and would eventually puke from coughing to me much. i would have coughing spells that lasting 1/2 hour to a hour long those were the worse

10/30/2012 04:39 AM
Aarzu

Have fibro-fatigue for 21 years. Now asthma for two years with bad flares, long coughing spells and throat irritation. Doc prescribed 40 mg/day prednisone, but I started with 15 mgs /day and will taper off in two weeks to 5 mgs.

Still have some cough and irritation. What Prednisone dose is best to treat cough? Or does the med take effect after few days?

10/30/2012 09:08 AM
bubblelivin
bubblelivin  
I'm an Advocate

Ive been on steriods for almost 5 years straight I do best in the high 30's but each person is different, yes they used mine to treat the coup plus added coup syrpe to help will with. I cough all the time, everyone always thinks Im sick, but also know witht he high amounts of steriods cause other problems, such as weight gain....

10/31/2012 08:24 AM
Raoul
RaoulPosts: 4012
VIP Member

Hi Aarzu

Prednisone is a very strong medicine.

You can not just prescribe the amount for yourself.

You are dancing with trouble.

Please go back to your doctor and talk about the medicine and how much to take at this time.

Your breathing is very important.

Please do not endanger it.

Hugs, Raoul

11/01/2012 07:30 AM
bubblelivin
bubblelivin  
I'm an Advocate

agree with Raoul, though I know what my good dose is, someone whos my age and healthier or worse it can make you worse not help you

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved