MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/31/2011 11:34 AM

When asthma attacked me

ladyshep

Hi everyone. I;m glad I found this forum. I feel like I am all alone in this world of asthma that brews in my lungs and feels like it goes into my soul. You see, I have adult onset asthma. It started two summers and has plagued me since. It all started when I was riding my bike on a humid, breezy evening and I couldn't breathe! I am glad I made it home and didn't fall of my bike like I thought I was going to. I was diagnosed with asthma last winter after the summer of my first attacks. I had bronchitis and that is what gave it away.

Thank God I still have good days, but I feel like I am the only one that can't stand a stuffy room and noone else seems to be bothered by it. I feel like I am suffocating in Shopko or the clinic or in someone's stuffy home when they crank up the heat. I can barely go outside on a hot humid day when the ragweed and mold counts are high. Infection sets into my lungs and makes me downtrodden. I want to breathe like I used to and wonder how this ever happened to me.

I just want to say that I am thankful that I have finally found some other hobbies. I used to rock climb and have a full adventurous lifestyle. It bumbed me out when I started to have troubles. But over time I have learned to cope and found things to do or work around asthma. I just have to sit and stop being in denial and use my Flovent inhaler when I need to. Sometimes I have really good days (why are there good days and bad days with this thing anyway?) and seems like I don't have to use medicine. Then eventually I run into trouble. Well, thanks for reading my story.

12/31/2011 12:06 PM
Catfishes24
Catfishes24  

Hello and welcome to the group! You are not alone, there are many of us here with adult-onset asthma. Mine started after an upper respiratory infection about 2 years ago. I too am bothered by some of the same things you mentioned.

You will find a lot of support here at mdjunction and we are glad you came!

12/31/2011 05:44 PM
Raoul
RaoulPosts: 4012
VIP Member

Welcome to the asthma support group, hugs, Raoul

01/01/2012 07:42 AM
dzookie1

Take singulair for asthma. I went from daily ER visits to now have 2to asthma atacks in 2the years. I find taking zerteck with the singulair works wonders. Try it u wont regret it. My mother did the same after having asthma for 20a years and was also cured. Let me know how it works for you.

01/02/2012 11:42 PM
pinkapple
pinkapple  

Hi Lady

Nice to see you here. Yes, it's nice to know that we're not alone, that we have friends to share. I got bronchitis years ago, do not know if that caused my asthma now.

I was a sport enthusiast too...jungle trekking, jogging was my favourite.

You'll be happy here.

01/03/2012 08:31 AM
ladyshep

Thanks everyone!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved