MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/26/2010 12:29 PM

Job,Family Don't Understand Asthma Seriousness

KJ1

Hi Everybody Smile Hope you are all feeling okay or getting better today if you're struggling with breathing. I'd like to voice my frustration in feeling like people without Asthma are judging me for not being 'tough enough' when it comes to dealing with my Asthma. I'm a tough cookie and I'm not a quitter. And when my Asthma's acting up and I say it's bad, I mean it's bad. My workplace brought me to tears twice this week when I needed to call off due to breathing issues even though it was extremely legit and I had 3 doctors excuses (and I almost never call of work). It is so hard and frustrating to feel like I need to explain what Asthma does to one's body during an attack or flare-up to someone WHILE I'm struggling for regular breath. I need to start telling people that I'll explain it to them later, I guess, because to feel defensive during an attack only exacerbates the attack. When I'm better from this episode I'm going to send an email to my close friends and family (and maybe even my boss) so they can better understand why I can't do some of my regular job/house duties etc., while having rough Asthma flare-ups. I am sick and tired of people judging how I deal with my Asthma when they have no idea what it's like and what they're talking about. It's exhausting when I'm already exhausted physically and usually emotionally from needing to miss activities due to Asthma.

Post edited by: KJ1, at: 02/26/2010 12:31 PM

02/26/2010 02:25 PM
bresky

Hey KJ1

I understand your frustrations. Its hard when no one understands what we go through. I have been struggling with that alot; however my co-workers are supportive it is my boss that isn't. My family is not at all supportive and we end up fighting about it all the time; I don't even tell them anymore when I end up in the hospital.

Its good to get your frustrations; I hope the email will help you.

11/30/2011 07:43 AM
bubblelivin
bubblelivin  
I'm an Advocate

I understand that totaly as Im sitting here at work coughing my head off and I cant breath my boss wont send me home.... he doesnt understand... mine acts up with weather changes but this time around ... someone who cleaning with pinecole... and wow.... they all know i have asthma

11/30/2011 02:54 PM
Raoul
RaoulPosts: 4009
VIP Member

Hi Bubble -

You really need to go to your boss and talk to him/her about that cleaning solution - and point out that it is making you sick and could cause you to need more sick days.

hugs

11/30/2011 08:10 PM
pinkapple
pinkapple  

Bubble..how things with you.

Agree with Raoul, you have to talk to your boss. If they can't change for whatever reason, is it possible to request for an isolated room or corner for you.

12/02/2011 05:32 AM
bubblelivin
bubblelivin  
I'm an Advocate

i tryed to but they just dont beleive me I guess... its agravating... Im still coughing since the other day just because of some chemicals

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved