MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/07/2012 08:00 AM

Allergic to Albuterol (ventolin inhaler)

nikkilpn31

Hi I'm new here! I have had asthma diagnosed since 1995! I was fine on all my inhalers until 2007! That is when the inhalers were changed to HFA! I had rash on body for years and unexplained fever that lasted for a year straight! Dr finally sent me to Derm Dr! He saved my life 3 months ago he did biopsie on my rash amd it showed Severe allergic reaction to oral med! Amd since the inhaler was all I took! We finally had an answer! I stopped the inhaler 3 months ago and rash went away withing 4 days and fever left after first 24 hours off inhaler! I cant take any inhalers for rescue since lung dr or derm dont no if im allergic to albuterol or the HFA that are in new inhalers since 2007/2008! I use my breathing treatment machine at least once a day since I stopped my inhaler! I have been real short of breath and ill and rash is starting again! So I was told I have to also stop breating treatment! Im using a himalayan salt inhaler it helps but not enough! If any one is going threw same thing please tell me your story! Or any natural things that help with your asthma! Also can not take steriod inhalers as my throat swells with steriod use! Thank you! Tired of suffering!

10/07/2012 08:23 AM
Raoul
RaoulPosts: 4221
VIP Member

HI

By your own words you were fine with the various inhales for 12 years. Then when the HAF came out you got into trouble.

That strongly suggests that you could use albuterol in a nebulizer. And also that you could probably use whatever other puffers you were using before the advent of HFA.

For example - if you were usinf combivent - then you can probably use atrovent in the nebulizer.

Since you say you cannot take steroids - then a steroid in the nebulizer probably will not help you.

You could probably use plain sterile saline in a nebulizer - which would be similar to the himalayan salt inhaler. Make sure to get sterile saline however - because otherwise you will get very sick.

hugs, Raoul

10/07/2012 08:43 AM
nikkilpn31

Thank you for reply good advice! Im allergic to sulfates in the breathing treatment! Are sulfates in other breathing treatments! I have no insurance now! But I was going to call lung dr monday to see if I can take a breathing treatment without sulfates! I know im allergic to sulfates because when I take bactrim or sulfar drugs my throat swells amd I get bad hives!

10/07/2012 08:45 AM
Raoul
VIP Member

What are you referring to when you say a breathing treatment machine?

Are you referring to a nebulizer, or a cpap, or a bipap, or a vpap?

hugs

10/07/2012 11:00 AM
Raoul
VIP Member

HI

You can ask a pharmacist about whether there are any sulphates in the nebulizer bottles. The cost of the bottle is not high cost - at locations like Wal Mart Pharmacy. I just bought some albuterol in bottles for the nebulizer (separate botttle for each treatment) and without any insurance it was just 10$ for 25 treatment bottles of 0.083 mcg - which is what I take.

hugs, Raoul

PS - you could note on your profile page your sex and a nick name to make it easier to talk to you. Other information - such as your state, age, height, weight and such will just make it easier for people to help you. you DO NOT have to give anything personal - such as your real name, or address or phone, or such.

Post edited by: Raoul, at: 10/07/2012 11:01 AM

10/12/2012 09:49 AM
Lelena44

So sorry to hear your story which is unforutnately not too different from mine. I have only had asthma for under 4 years, but it continues to worsen. I have been on all of the steroid inhalers and am allergic to them all. Cannot take prednisone due to side effects. I did weekly allergy shots for a year, but had to stop due to reactions and I was on xolair for 6 months and it did nothing. The only thing I can take is albuterol. I use my proair 3-5 times a day everyday. Except when my asthma is really bad, then I use my nebulizer (albuterol) which is usually 5-8 days a month. I too am allergic to sulfa drugs (and most others for that matter)and get a slightly itchy mouth when I use my pump. But as there is nothing else,I just use it. I cannot take allergy meds either due to allergies and a heart condition so I pretty much try to do preventative stuff. Like not going out in cold, rainy or windy weather; not going to places where there are a lot of people; avoiding areas where there are heavy smells or chemicals; no dusting or vacuming etc.

It's a pain, but there isn't much that can be done. I do worry about so much albuterol though as does my doctor.

I know of an herbal blend called asthma x5 which is supposed to help. It has green tea in it which I am allergic to, so I haven't tried it. But maybe something like that can help you Smile

Lelena

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved