MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/15/2012 08:09 AM

Finding Work

BlueYoshi
BlueYoshi  
VIP Member

I read an article online today that about 35% of autistic adults have no higher education or paid employment seven years after graduating high school. Obviously, keeping a job at most places while having autism is much harder than doing so while being neurotypical because of the social expectations.

For me personally, considering my fibromyalgia and the limitations it brings, I have an even worse shot of ever keeping employment. Nobody wants to hire the sick one who has lots of physical limitations, especially in a competitive job environment. I've read lots of stories about fibro patients losing and not getting new jobs, and because the fibro keeps you bound away from people so often, that means it makes my social awkwardness from the Asperger's even worse. So basically... I'm screwed.

A lot of the assistance for helping people like us get jobs involves immersing us into intensive social environments and learning that way. I guess how well that works varies from person to person. Feel free to share your job concerns below.

05/15/2012 08:36 AM
zaylia
zaylia  

That sounds so rough yoshi. And, that is a sad statistic. I think we can learn a lot from being in those environments. I know have anyways. Each job I had helped me grow, even though it wasn't the job tasks themselves teaching me. I am worried I won't be able to keep a job. But, I think I will be alright. I can get along with people for the most part, especially with jobs. Because there are tasks at hand. And, easier to have conversations about that stuff. I had to quit a couple jobs because my one wrist is crummy ever since a bike accident. Hopefully, it doesn't get in the way in the future.

05/16/2012 05:43 PM
BlueYoshi
BlueYoshi  
VIP Member

Yeah, I wish I could just be physically healthy and focus on my social deficits, whether that be through a job or wherever. I can try and do that I guess during the summer, but since I live in such a small area I don't even know where to begin. I've tried library clubs, local Asperger's support groups, college activities... and no dice. I'm starting to run out of ideas. I really just want a couple of local friends to have for once in my life but I can't even manage that. Ah well - it is what it is.

05/25/2012 06:00 AM
zaylia
zaylia  

I live in a city, and it's hard to find a job or make friends. Can't imagine looking in a small town. I was raised in one, but my friends were friends since we were toddlers haha. No effort required. And, too young to work. There are lots of online jobs, but of coarse you know that. They just don't get you out of the house! Is there anyway you can move?

05/25/2012 10:26 AM
BlueYoshi
BlueYoshi  
VIP Member

Ah I wish I had toddler friends. I probably have mentioned this before (and probably too many times), but when I was younger I was never around peers until I was in Kindergarten. I think that being around peers when I was much younger would've benefited me in the long run socially, but you can't change that type of thing now. I don't know if doing that would help me try to get friends now, but I keep thinking it would've helped somehow.

05/26/2012 05:26 AM
zaylia
zaylia  

Post edited by: zaylia, at: 05/26/2012 06:17 AM

05/26/2012 05:55 AM
zaylia
zaylia  

Okay so,I was trying to map out communication, and got kind of OCD with it.

The gist, I lost those friends once my differences weren't accepted anymore. Not totally, but when they grew up, seemed like I didn't. And I didn't know how to communicate with them, with nothing in common. They realized my sense of humor, and quirks, were different. And weird I guess. It's taken a lot of work from church, school, jobs, and the hospital, to get me to where I am. And being so sensitive with my SPD, has really helped out a lot. I don't know how to make friends by being myself very well though.

Post edited by: zaylia, at: 05/26/2012 06:19 AM

05/26/2012 05:34 PM
BlueYoshi
BlueYoshi  
VIP Member

Ah I gotcha. I did notice people changing a lot as they got older, but I guess it doesn't help that most of the people around me seem to have best friends from since the time they were little kids. I literally have a cousin who is still friends with someone they knew as a toddler. I don't know how they managed it. My vision of friends I guess can get distorted sometimes. lol.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm not very good making friends by myself either. But I'm just bad at it in general. Tongue

06/02/2012 01:40 PM
zaylia
zaylia  

Ah! Jealous of your cousin! My sister also has toddler friends.. Some are older siblings of my old friends. Kind of a weird feeling when I see them haha.

It does make me feel better in a selfish way to know I am not the only one with difficulties making friends. Every time someone posts on here about that, I feel less alone too. Smile I do like to feel lonely, but not that way haha

It's SO odd how people change SO much. I am the same in so many ways. I pretty much act the same, same interests. Just more added from age. People always tell me well people change, blah, blah, blah. THEY shouldn't, just what they do.. Or themselves in ways.. but ya.. haha hope you know what I mean!

Post edited by: zaylia, at: 06/02/2012 01:44 PM

06/02/2012 05:17 PM
BlueYoshi
BlueYoshi  
VIP Member

Don't worry, I do. I probably have changed a lot as the years have passed... most all of that was attributed to puberty and learning to cope with the fibro, but now that I have, I'm closer to how I was when I was younger now. Except a little more cynical and stubborn.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved