MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/06/2011 05:35 PM

Diagnosis came down today ...

thesemicrunchysahm
thesemicrunchysahm  

We got my daughters diagnosis today. She has PDD,NOS with ADHD and SID. They want to medicate her to further reduce her ADHD symptoms so we can start more effective treatment for her Austism. Any helpful information on what to do now?

01/06/2011 08:00 PM
njhsmommy9
njhsmommy9  

I don't recommend mediacation unless herbal. you can also try the gluten free diet if you have alot of time & money. you can try cutting out the red 40 dyes in the foods & drinks, we tried that & suprisingly it worked for us. with meds there r always some side effects, look @ what the side effect of the vaccines did. lol seriously. take some time and a deep breath, google has been my best friend. i am finding so much info that drs. don't tell you. so just breathe and pray.

01/06/2011 08:57 PM
thesemicrunchysahm
thesemicrunchysahm  

we are already dye/preservative/sugar/caffeine/gluten free. So I am at a loss for what else we could be doing to help. Thanks for the info that you have been messaging me I really appreciate it. I am going to be going to see our PCM next week hopefully if the base clinic can get us in and try to get her switched to the developmental pediatrician. Apparently she is really awesome with helping navigate the resources for autistic children in our area and in the military insurance system so she should be a big help.

01/07/2011 09:42 AM
dejamayhew
dejamayhew  

I love therapy! I believe that intensive therapy is the best thing you can do for a child with autism. I dont do any special diets with Charlie but I can say ABA is bringing her around...fast! She is doing so much now less tantrums and more smiles. Is she in a program?

01/07/2011 09:44 AM
dejamayhew
dejamayhew  

Does she communicate well?

01/23/2011 09:54 AM
KatrinaB
KatrinaB  

You can try herbal stuff for the a.d.h.d. Omega 3 fish oil is helpful for my son with a.d.d. and myself (also a.d.d.) but for us we do take meds to help with our a.d.d. simptoms and the differences are like night and day. so keep in mind that meds can be whats best for your child and you may have to try different ones/doses to help your child. but for us it is the best thing to do. I remember how it was growing up and going to school with out meds and now i know what it is like with meds and I REALLY REALLY wish that these meds would have been available when I was a child!!! Good luck!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved