MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/16/2011 08:20 PM

Total Hip Replacement due to Arthritis of the Hip

loril
loril  

I am currently scheduled to have a total hip replacement on September 6th. My right hip is severely arthritic.. including bone spurs around the joint. I'm very nervous about it because I do have a pretty bad case of fibromylagia and chronic fatigue syndrome. I have been going to a pain clinic for the past 7 years to deal with pain issues from my back, fibromylagia, and arthritis.

I realize that long term I will be able to walk without pain Laughing .. I am just worried about getting there. I am currently scheduled for the old-fashioned, cut into the bum surgery way.. however, just today found out about an excellent surgeon who does the new posterior approach (small incision, faster rehabilitation, etc.).

Has anyone had the new approach and had success with it? Any suggestions if I do have the traditional method?

Thank you so much in advance... I really appreciate your help.

Lori

08/21/2011 11:29 PM
janquito
janquito  

I was hoping someone had responded to your question of if anyone has experienced the new way of surgery. My husband also has to have his right hip replaced. He is going to see the surgeon this Thurs. I'm so tired of seeing him in pain so I made the appt. for him. Smile I do wish you a lot of luck with this. I can understand the fibro and chronic pain issues. I have them too. Take care and let us know how it all goes. I'll say some prayers for you!

08/22/2011 10:34 AM
loril
loril  

There is a simple test for Sjogens... a blood test (not the one where they need to biopsy your lip). It is not unusual to have dry eyes and mouth with fibromylagia... I have them as well and had to have plugs put in my eyes.. I was unable to wear my contacts due to my dry eyes. They have helped quite a bit. I was sure I had Sjogens, but didn't. I was diagnosed with rosasea about 2 months ago.. felt like a pre-pubescent teen (ugh)! that also produces dry eyes and mouth. Frustrating! At any rate.. if you have been putting off being tested for Sjogrens due to the fear of the biopsy, just get the blood test Smile I hope your husband's surgery goes well.. I couldn't find anyone where I live that had enough experience in anterior approach.. he will do great!

08/22/2011 10:40 AM
loril
loril  

Regarding the new anterior approach... if your doctor has loads of experience, my brother-in-law is a pretty famous knee surgeon and he really wanted me to have it. It is far superior to the posterior approach. It is a more difficult (for the surgeon) technique, they use a different operating table.. but they won't be cutting through all of his muscles.. less chance of having the new hip dislocate. Healing is quicker.. all around much better surgery option. He is really lucky to have found someone that has experience in doing the surgery. I believe in 10 years that is the only type of hip replacement surgery that will be done. I also did tons and tons of research on the internet... if he is a candidate for the anterior approach, he is so LUCKY!!! Please know that he should recover quickly and be home the day after surgery! Good luck to both of you!! LORI

08/22/2011 12:17 PM
janquito
janquito  

Hey thanks Lori!

I have been tested for Sjogren's - both lip biopsy and blood. I wonder if the biopsy would still turn out positive without a flare going on? I had no sores and nothing painful in that area when I had the biopsy. I found out that one of the times (at least that I know of)I had a blood test the ANA was positive; not high but it still read positive and my doctor never said a thing about it. He doesn't seem to really care much about a lot of things. Like this past week when I had an appt with him (6 months since the last visit) he just got up and left before I realized he was done! I know they were really swamped because he'd been off the week before but why take it out on the patients? You'd think I'd call and demand to be seen again but noooo, I'm too chicken. Smile

Take care!

08/23/2011 01:13 AM
loril
loril  

I know my doctor's always blame my medicines for my dry mouth (and eyes).. recently I was diagnosed with rosacea and that also produces dry eyes.. not sure about mouth. When I think back 25 years to my mid twenties, I remember having dry mouth even then. The last time I had my eyes examined my eye doctor told me that the surface of my eye should be smooth like glass.. instead mine is like sand. Like you though, no doctor seems to care too much..

So sorry you had to go thru the biopsy on your lip! I heard that is so painful! The hard thing about having sjogren's disease is all they really do for treatment is treat the symptoms. Frustrating..

08/24/2011 03:40 AM
peasha
peasha  
VIP Member

Hi loril, welcome to the group! I havn't had hip surgery or replacement, but my grandmother just recently had it. She was supposed to have it completely replaced and ended up not having that done at all. I am not too sure which approach she used, but I do know that it was a smaller incision so she is able to heal faster. The surgeon started small to inspect the joint and clean out the arthritic gunk in there and put in some pins to stabalize the hip and then she was good to go. She is 76 and feeling a lot better now that the surgery has been done. She can walk again and even golf.

I hope your surgery goes well for you too, and I just thought I would share a positive hip surgery story with you to ease your nerves. The possibilities available for faster recovery might be a better route to go in the long run. Its a tough deciding things like this and you are right to want to ponder carefully your options. Especially when its big like this. You never know if someone just wants to do things the easy way for them rather than what is easiest for the patient. Let us know how you are doing and what you decide.

01/19/2013 06:16 AM
fairyqueen
fairyqueen  
VIP Member

Hi Loril - my husband had that new type of Hip replacement done last August at 47 years old. He recovered so quickly I just coulnt believe it. He was walking without his crutches around the house after less than 2 weeks and returned to work 7 weeks post op. He has absolutely no pain in his new hip and is waiting to go for his 2nd hip replacement in the next couple of months.

He said it was the best thing he ever did despite being extremely nervous before hand - now he can't wait to get his other hip done! Best of luck with your surgery!

03/07/2013 12:43 PM
mem8320

fairyqueen,

Hello! This was an older post that you were replying to so I didn't want you to think that you were being ignored. Hope that you are okay and feel free to post anytime! Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved