MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/15/2012 06:22 PM

knots forming in muscles

txnursie

Does anyone else experience this? I have been having horrific knots forming on muscles in forearm, deltoid, biceps, thighs, all over. Some of them are as big as eggs and kinda shaped that way, too. You can feel them just by running your hand over them but what's even creepier is that you can see them, too.

They are extremely painful!! I have been digging into them massaging them hard to try to get some relief, applying icy hot, biofreeze, voltaren cream, taking pain meds, muscle relaxers. I have some in my arms and legs and also in the hip/buttocks area. This is miserable and I'm not sure how much more of this I can take!

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Have your doctors commented on what's causing it? What do you do to make them more tolerable?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

01/17/2012 05:51 AM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
VIP Member

What you are describing could be enthesitis. It's basically inflammation of where the tendons and ligaments insert into the bone. It's something that seems to go with inflammatory arthritis diseases like AS, PsA, and reactive arthritis(all the HBLA27 ones). Do you have one of those? I've also seen it said that it can go with RA and OA as well. Here's a link or two for you to check out.

http://arthritis.about.com/od/arthritissignssymptoms/f/ enthesitis.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enthesitis

http://www.healthatoz.info/diseases/enthesitis.htm

01/17/2012 06:14 PM
txnursie

Hello, habox, thanks so much for responding!!! I clicked on the links and found the info on enthesitis~ sounds like it could be very possible with me, as some of the knots/nodules are near points of insertion (muscle to bone). I had an EMG and NCV done Friday and will get the results this week. I had them done in '06 so we have a baseline for comparison. I just hope for some more answers soon. I was in tears and couldn't get relief no matter what I did! Would you believe that after I went on my facebook and basically cried out pathetically in desperation for people to pray for me. I got tons of replies... the pain finally eased up and I slept... when I got up, the pain was MUCH better and I had a better afternoon and evening. Went back on facebook and so many people said they had been praying. I have always believed in prayer but I keep seeing more and more evidence.

How are you feeling these days? I haven't seen you post much lately but I'm still not sure how to find current posts very easily. It was very nice hearing from you~~ take care and I hope you're having a wonderful new year so far~~~!!!

01/18/2012 07:49 AM
DonnaEvans77
DonnaEvans77  

txnursie, I've never dealt with that. So sorry you're in so much pain from that. Have you been to the doctor and have any tests done on them to see what's going on? So sorry I haven't been around. Please keep us posted on what you find out is going on. GBHugs, Donna

01/18/2012 09:37 AM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
VIP Member

Prayer is a powerful thing! I'm not doing so hot these days to be honest. Found out my SI joint is fused mostly together on it's own which isn't good. We'll see what the rheumy says about that in about 2 wks. My son is being looked at for arthritis now as well which isn't good. My back is flaring. And on and on.

Anyway, I'm glad I could help. Even if that's not it, perhaps it will help get you in the right direction. Have you told your dr about it?

01/18/2012 09:51 AM
txnursie

Oh hatbox I'm so sorry about the fusion - I'm glad you're seeing the rheumy soon and hope you'll get some good answers. As far as your son is concerned, I really, really hope he doesn't have arthritis? How old is he? Hah!! As if that makes too much difference as we all know arthritis is no respecter of youth! Well, I truly hope he's negative for arthritis and has something simple going on that can be resolved by NSAIDS or something.

Please let us know.

Donna Evans it's so nice to hear from you!!Thanks for your reply as well. Yes, I've been at the neurology clinic. I was there Friday for EMG and NCV and will go again today for a test for dizziness. (veng?) something like that...

I saw the pain mgmt doctor yesterday but that just consisted of a few questions and giving me the prescriptions. I told him what was going on and he felt some of the knots, he called them "narts" because he's from India, maybe it was more like "nards" which made me giggle. I didn't let him see me. He asked if they were maybe fatty tissue deposits but then when he felt them they were hard as rocks. Maybe answers will come soon.

It was good to hear from both of you, please don't be strangers! You will be in my prayers!

01/18/2012 11:50 AM
DonnaEvans77
DonnaEvans77  

It's great to be back, sure missed you all. I've been getting caught up on things I haven't been able to do for a while. Got most of the house cleaned today, but I'm done for the day, the rest can wait till tomorrow or Friday.

Wow, hope they figure out what's going on with those knots, they sound so terrible, txnursie. Keep us posted, and prayers for everything that is dealing with the nasty arthritis.

hatbox, so sorry the joint is fused. Is there anything that can be done. Hope and pray your son doesn't get diagnosed to having arthritis, and that it's something simple. GBHugs, Donna

01/18/2012 11:54 AM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
VIP Member

He's 4 1/2. My daughter has JIA and is 8. I'm hoping that it's not going to get him too. It appears that I've passed down all the crappy genes.

Nah, nothing can be done at this point. Hoping to get some answers as to why it's fused over the last couple of years. The NP mentioned anklyosing spondylitis. It could also be psoriatic arthritis. Either way, or something else, hoping to stop any more joints from doing the same. I don't want to lose any more mobility than I currently am.

01/18/2012 02:35 PM
DonnaEvans77
DonnaEvans77  

I hope he doesn't have it either.

Sorry nothing can be done for you. Hopefully no more fusions like that. GBHugs, Donna

01/21/2012 08:33 AM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
VIP Member

How did the dizziness test go? What kind of test was it? Vertigo(I have it) is a common dizziness causer as is b/p issues(which I also have).

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved