MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/02/2010 02:05 PM

How to stop an SVT episode

violett
violett  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

SVT can be life-threatening. I learned a way to stop the episodes years ago, long before there was treatment or Ablations to be had.

A doctor told me about it and I didn't want to try it. However, after an hour of rapid heart poundings, I decided I had to do something - and it worked!

Take a bowl of ice water and dip your wrists in. If the heart doesn't go back to normal, then plunge your face in. I did it, and my heart went immediately back to a normal rhythm. I've used this method successfully many times. The wrist thing never worked on me, but it might on others.

I tell this to everyone I meet who has WPW. If a person is in a severe episode and in danger, it could save their life!

Do any of you have tricks you use to get things back to normal? If you do, please post it so others can benefit.

Violett

01/03/2011 01:20 PM
SomethingDifferent

I will have to try that next time! I've discovered one that has worked reliably for me, but you may not like it at all. As far as I know, it could be just as dangerous as any SVT. Stop reading if you have a weak stomach or emetophobia. Okay, if I'm having an SVT episode when I throw up, my heart goes completely back to a relaxed comfortable rhythm and stays that way. Your way looks much more attractive though, so I'm gonna try it next time.

01/03/2011 04:54 PM
violett
violett  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I'd hope I wouldn't need to do that, but if an episode didn't stop, it is worth a try. My doctor told me I could have died during any of those episodes. Strangely, I had them for over 30 years and never died.... thankfully!

Many rapid beatings are not dangerous, but WPW or PSVT are very dangerous. That is what I had. I believe God was watching over me.

01/27/2011 09:58 AM
goopy
goopy  
Group Leader

Hi violett

Just came over to check on u and learned something. I had never heard about the icewater wish I had known that all those years before my ablation. So are you doing ok hope so talk later georgia

01/27/2011 11:08 AM
violett
violett  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

The ice water works. I used that method many times and it can be a lifesaver.

I'm OK as I can be. Still fighting my battle with Erythroderma. I keep praying for remission, but it hasn't happened yet. I do have a few positive changes that makes me hope...

Also waiting for spring... 52 more days (7 weeks, 3 days). I'm counting down for flowers, hummingbirds, and warmth!

How are you doing?

Post edited by: violett, at: 01/27/2011 11:09 AM

01/31/2012 05:58 PM
Rayneh

I have known the ice to work. Just put it on sensitive parts of your body (the back of your neck, knees, bottoms of your feet etc.) I am 14 and I had the surgery to get rid of it 4 years ago and now I'm having episodes again. I have also known it to help if someone jumps out and scares me. The reason for these is because it shocks the heart back into normal rhythm.

01/31/2012 06:06 PM
violett
violett  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

It sounds like they didn't get all the electrical pathways, or else some grew back? Will you have the ablation again?

I tell everyone I see who has this about the ice water. It could save a life.

Hope you are doing OK.

hugs, violett

02/02/2012 04:49 PM
daniellenicole

i am so happy i found this website b/c ive been feeling so alone. I havnt tried the ice thing yet i usually wait for the episodes to pass, i will try it next time.... when you had your episodes did it feel like you where dying?

02/02/2012 06:29 PM
violett
violett  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Yes, the first time especially. I was 19, and was home alone with a year-old baby, no car, and no phone. (This was the olden days. LOL.) I managed to fix a bottle for the baby, changed her and put her in her crib. That way, I knew she'd be safe, dry, and fed. Then I laid on the bed to die. I knew my husband would come home and find me dead. The episode lasted 3 hours and 15 minutes. It left me exhausted. It was a Sunday, so I couldn't see my doctor that day. People didn't go to the ER back then like they do now. We had no insurance.

I saw my doctor the next day and tried to describe it. He said it is impossible for hearts to go that fast, patted me on the head, and called me a nervous female! So maddening! I put up with this from doctors for the next 15 or so years, until some doctors discovered the condition and wrote a paper about it.

Anyway, about feeling like I would die, after that, I didn't like the feeling, but didn't worry too much about it because I had survived the first episode.

Best wishes.

violett

02/05/2012 10:33 AM
djanzz

Thank you for reminding me of the ice water trick, although I have never tried it yet myself. I'm 46 and I've had TWO abaltion procedures in the last 4 years for my SVT. Now after almost 2 years without a episode, it's back AGAIN...still mild at this point though! I'm pretty upset about it but trying to deal with it best I can. Although I've NEVER been able to stop my episodes on my own in the past...always ended up in the ER, I'm really hoping to do so myself if it worsens! I'll definetly try the ice water trick if needed to avoid trips to the ER!!! I guess it's just time for me to accept this as possibly being in my life forever...it's nice to know I'm not alone though.

Take care,

Sharon

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved