MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/15/2012 10:17 PM

Herbal and Homeopathic Remedies

nicoleo

Sorry, I should've posted this here and not in "general support."

Could anyone suggest any herbal or homeopathic remedies for OCD and/or GAD? Also, could anyone point me to some resources to learn more about herbal and homeopathic remedies? I'm trying to decide which approach is best.

I just started taking Calms Forte and Highlands Nerve Tonic. Hopefully it will help. The ingredients are all homeopathic and I don't know a whole lot about them. There's so much info online. I'd like to find a website that has a reasonable amount of info that's easy to read. I just bought a box of Kava tea from Wholefoods. I would've thought that was safe. But, I read online a lot of bad things about Kava (liver damage).

Also, is it even safe to mix something herbal w/ something homeopathic?

Post edited by: nicoleo, at: 03/15/2012 10:17 PM

Post edited by: nicoleo, at: 03/15/2012 10:24 PM

03/16/2012 02:04 AM
Catfishes24
Catfishes24  
Group Leader

I would highly recommend that you find a medical provider who specializes in homeopathy. If you are already on meds from your physician, then you must be careful about mixing these things. Many medications began by being herbs or from plants/trees (aspirin from willow bark, digitalis from a flower, etc), and the chemicals derived from herbal/homeopathics can have interactions that are unpleasant if not dangerous.

It is tempting to try things on our own - I have and learned the hard way - so please try to find a medical provider who is educated on homeopathy.

Post edited by: Catfishes24, at: 03/16/2012 02:05 AM

03/17/2012 05:03 PM
nicoleo

Thanks. I'm looking into seeing a DAN - I think that's what she's called. She specializes in natural treatments. Btw, I'm not on anything. I've had many bad experiences w/ antidepressants and benzo's over the years and I've actually had better results w/o them. It's just really frustrating when I try to do my own research sometimes b/f trying something b/c there's soooo much out there. I'd rather have someone who specializes in that sort of thing to provide concise, reliable instruction. Thanks for responding. I'll have to let you know how it goes.

03/18/2012 12:57 AM
Catfishes24
Catfishes24  
Group Leader

Yes, please do let us know how things are. There is no homeopath within 100 miles of me, so I am interested about how they work and such. Feel free to post anytime if you need to vent or to chat or whatever.

Cat

03/27/2012 07:08 AM
CrzyGrl

i have found that it is best to research anything that i'm going to take, and see if it might interact with something i'm already taking. the only RXs i take right now are birth control and Zoloft. At one time, my psychiatrist reccomended St. John's Wort, but when i researched it, i found it is not good to take with birth control pills. i do take the supplement L-Theanine, a good multi-vitamin, and Astaxanthin, an antioxidant.

following a healthy diet and eating mostly natural foods seems to help too. i don't do much processed food, artificial sweeteners or preservatives.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved