MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/26/2010 10:45 AM

klonopin no longer working

ngrdr
ngrdr  

I've been on klonopin at varying doses since 2004 and before that on Xanax since I was in my teens, and now I'm 33 and I've been taking 5mg Klonopin a day and it's working less and less. Another medication I'm on, Geodon, is also supposed to help with this and it sort of does--I take it at night and pass out. (It's for bipolar disorder, which I also have.) I also take gabapentin, which prevents outright panic but doesn't get rid of anxiety itself.

I also got transferred to a new doctor who I know doesn't believe in klonopin and other drugs like it, so I theoretically need more(?) but might get cut.

I can tolerate up to 8 or 9mg of klonopin a day, which is not a good thing, but I don't know what else I can take for the constant anxiety that's always there. (And I'm in therapy and know about breathing, etc.) Has anyone been in a similar situation? Any advice?

Thanks,

Nicholas

Post edited by: ngrdr, at: 09/26/2010 10:46 AM

09/26/2010 12:33 PM
RickEJ
RickEJ  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I was on Klonopin 3mg a day and it stopped working.

We switched to Tranxene (Clorazepate) about a week ago at 15mg 2x a day and it seems to be working well. I have been on benzos for over six years now, and this is the second time one Tranxene.

I've actually been able to work in the front and back yard without feeling paranoid. The Klonopin didn't work as well as the Tranxene IMO. Everyone is different.

01/21/2011 09:48 AM
ngrdr
ngrdr  

I know that doctors prescribe Klonopin because although it takes the longest amount of time of all the benzodiazepenes to work it also stays in your system for the longest amount of time. And you can develop a tolerance for it so that's why I'm up to 5mg and it's not working.

There's also the problem of withdrawal: you (I know from experience) become physically dependent and stopping abruptly can lead to seizures or worse. I'm still where I'm at with being very tense and doing a lot of deep breathing and taking 5mg/day but I've discussed it with my doctor and he's not willing to do anything so far.

01/23/2011 03:42 AM
RickEJ
RickEJ  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I was up to 6mg a day at one time and it took at least that 6 weeks to get off it.

I was recently on Tranxene for about a month and it stopped working so we went back to Klonopin and that stopped working so now I'm on Valium 10mg 3x a day and its working great so far. My anxiety is chemical and unfortunately this limits my choice of meds. I've been on almost every SSRI and SNRI and none of them work. Also all the

anti- psychotics and atypical anti-psychotics and the only one I can take is Zyprexa and that has a limited effect on anxiety. I am resigned to benzos whether I want to be or not. Every couple years we go off them to bring my tolerance down then we start again. Sounds crazy but it works.

Post edited by: RickEJ, at: 01/23/2011 03:44 AM

02/05/2011 04:40 AM
Peace4Rach
Peace4Rach  
VIP Member

My doc just gave me Klonopin to take 3x a day. I was taken Xanax for years. Having lifelong insomnia, waking up on a few hours of sleep, I would take 1mg and sleep for a few more hours in the morning. Then feel better able to deal with the day. I've taken sleep meds that don't work. The doc wanted to switch me off of the Xanax and give me Klonopin I'm not seeing it work and I will not take it during the day. Makes me feel drowsy the entire day where as the Xanax wears off. He's not gonna like it, the doc but I love my Xanax. Years ago, the Klonopin worked for me. I would talk 1mg at night and be fine. But not sure what I'm gonna do and I have to think before the appt. 15 minutes isn't long to have this discussion in the docs office, ha ha. Rachele

02/05/2011 10:48 AM
Ginag
Ginag  
I'm an Advocate

Hi

If a Dr. said I don't believe in meds...I'd say "I don't believe in him" I actually had a Dr. tell me to take a AA 4th step for my insomnia......I got a med for muscle cramps and take a Klonopen and tylenol at bedtime an 9 months of insomnia stopped.

meds can have a tolerence build up. Xanax is much faster and stronger. I wanted to increase the Klonopin but I am on cymbolta and my PDoc said it would be to strong.

02/07/2011 05:03 AM
Peace4Rach
Peace4Rach  
VIP Member

Mine didn't say he didn't believe in meds. He's a psychiatrist so of course he does. It's more my issues of hating to rely on the meds especially if most don't work so well for sleep. The doctor didn't like the Xanax because of it's addictive nautre and switched me to Buspar which is not a Benzodiazapine but did also give me Klonopin. Neither are working and I want the Xanax back. Is it so bad, I take 1mg of Xanax for some sleep. How bad could that be. Not like I take alot, abuse or drive on it.

I'm wanting to switch the antidressant from Lexapro to either Effexor or Pristiq. I'm gonna call him today so he can call it in and I have some clue what's working by the next visit in 2 weeks. Rachele

02/07/2011 07:45 AM
stinkybinky
stinkybinky  

I think that its ridiculous that doctors assume that if we take Benzos we will OD or get addicted. I used to be on Klonopin and it stopped working. I was taking like 10 mg to feel any effect! So I asked for a change. What change did I get? - being on nothing! For the past month my anxiety has increased each day and it has become more and more unbearable for me to function at ALL.

I just poke with my doctor 10 minutes ago and told him that I will not take no for an answer. I need meds. Bathing and meditating isn't enough for the severity of my anxiety.

Finally I will get some relief!

02/01/2012 12:59 AM
weltschmerz

It is not a good idea to increase the Klonopin dosage without talking to your doctor first . And Klonopin it's not working for me either , like it did before . This is the problem with all benzos , and the reason they prefer to prescribe SSRIs . The body develops a resistance , after a while , and you need higher and higher dosage to get the same effect as the first time . I don't really consider Klonopin very effective , especially if the anxiety is associated with agoraphobia . I've been on Tranxene too , but i didn't like the euphoric effect , after the pill kicked in i was getting dressed and went clubbing . Xanax is still the best for me .

02/01/2012 01:02 AM
weltschmerz

Hey GinaG , your post made me smile , it remembered what a doctor told me once : if you don't believe on meds they won't work . And i told him : why don't you get some anti-constipation pills and try your best not to believe in them , and see if you can reach the toilet in time .

Post edited by: weltschmerz, at: 02/01/2012 02:23 AM

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved