MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/04/2009 12:08 AM

Hi, I'm new

AmyBerry
AmyBerry  

Hello everyone! My name is Amy, I am almost 32 years old, and have been suffering from anxiety for most of my life. You think I'd be used to it, but I'm not, nor will I ever be,

My biggest triggers are the thought of losing my children, and being in a car. When I think of losing my children, I get a panic attack. When I'm in a car, I'm afraid of getting into an accident, so that sparks a panic attack. This is when I am a passenger.

I believe it's because I not in control of these triggers and I hate that. I need to be in control. I constantly worry about everything. Every little thing. Things that most people would laugh at because it's ridiculous. I panic when I hear a plane that is loud because I'm afraid it's going to crash into us. I'm afraid of a nearby nuclear power plant exploding. I'm afraid of just about everything and it's causing me to fear life instead of enjoy it.

That's me in a nutshell! It's nice to be in a place where I am not alone.

02/04/2009 08:38 AM
dreamsofinsomnia
dreamsofinsomnia  
VIP Member

I know all about these feelings. I sometimes feel like a control freak because of my problems.

Have you tried exposure therapy?

we are all hear for you and welcome

02/04/2009 08:34 PM
Chanda
Chanda  
VIP Member

Hi Amy, Im 31 and had this all my life too and think the same things! I have a lot of those same fears and thoughts. Hope to get to know ya better! Hang in there! And if you ever wanna talk, im here!

02/05/2009 01:08 AM
AmyBerry
AmyBerry  

I've never even heard of exposure therapy. What is it? And thanks for the welcome. Smile

02/05/2009 01:09 AM
AmyBerry
AmyBerry  

I hate having to live in fear! I just want to enjoy life and the time I have to live it.

02/05/2009 09:34 AM
dreamsofinsomnia
dreamsofinsomnia  
VIP Member

usually a councelor takes a list of things you fear

you avoid all of them but the one you are working

for example if a person is scared of driving the councelor may have you at first close your eyes and picture your driving

then when you confortable with that they may then have you sit in a unmoving care till your confortable

then the next step would be to drive a short distance on a not to traveled road- may do this several different sessions

then the next step is to drive further

the one after that is to drive on a busy street

you get the idea by slowly exposing you to your fear it should make you able to cope with it

after you have one fear beat then you work on another

it is a long process and there are steps backwards but it is possible

just an idea i know lots of people it worked on especially for driving, heigths and closed spaces like elevators

02/05/2009 12:56 PM
Chanda
Chanda  
VIP Member

I hear ya girl, that's exacly how i feel!

02/06/2009 05:58 PM
enoughurting
enoughurting  

I hope you have some relief from your symptoms. I know how you feel. I have been suffering with this for a week and feel as though it has been a lifetime. You are not along in feeling your irrational thoughts. I hope that you get through this. There are many people suffering just as you are and we all understand.

02/06/2009 08:23 PM
TIFFANYisMENTAL

hi amy!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved