MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/18/2012 09:20 PM

new - calming my mind w/ group support

confusedlady
confusedlady  

Hi everyone,

I'm joining this group to get some release via "putting it out there" and relating with others. I have anxiety that comes and goes - is stronger when I'm stressed by circumstances and not "staying in the moment" vs. "in my head", as they say in the 12-step meetings I was attending for a while. Those seemed to help but I disagreed fundamentally with the tenets and cult nature of the program, so I quit, and am seeking an alternative here.

Thanks for reading. I aim to be constructive and of help to you all too.

01/19/2012 01:24 AM
Catfishes24
Catfishes24  
Group Leader

Hello and welcome! Please feel free to share your experiences and do the "does anybody else feel like this?" posts - we are glad you came to talk to us.

Not every therapy/help method works for everyone, just like not every medication is a perfect fit for all. We don't push one method or drug.

We aren't medical professionals, just people with similar experiences helping one another along in life.

Again, welcome. Cat

01/19/2012 06:47 AM
damselndistress
damselndistressPosts: 16968
Group Leader

Welcome.Wink

01/20/2012 01:30 PM
AsianGoddess

Check out a 12-step group that is sponsored by Unitarian Universalist churches. The UU here has a 12-step atheist group where there is no dogma but what you are comfortable with and wherever you are in your spiritual path is totally acceptable and okay. Thought about checking out the group but I'm finding coming here and hearing advice has helped me a lot. My anxiety level has gone down so much and I'm very grateful for the community here!

01/20/2012 07:09 PM
darkhaven
darkhaven  

Welcome. Hope you find answers here I know u will meet alot of great people who know and understand what you are going thru

01/20/2012 07:47 PM
maryw2201

WELCOME!!!!!!!!!! There are a lot of awsome people here that have made my days alittle easier to deal with it and to know someones always here to help.

01/20/2012 08:19 PM
confusedlady
confusedlady  

@ AsianGoddess: The lack-o-dogma would be nice, but I disagree with the 12-step approach in general (the "powerlessness" part - I believe in finding my inner strength, not conditioning myself to believe there is none). I'm curious though, what was the name of the group so I can google it?

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved