MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/04/2009 05:12 AM

It lives in my shoulders & neck

Snoopers2009
Snoopers2009  

For so many years now, I have had pain ranging from annoying to intolerable in my shoulders and neck. Years ago, my doctor told me that women tend to carry their stress in their shoulders... sort of pulling them upwards in an unconscious gesture.

When I'm anxious (um, a lot? lol), my neck KILLS me... there are knots in the tops of my shoulders where the muscles bunch up.

Does anyone else have this lovely side effect from having constant anxiety? What do you do about it? Please don't tell me to take a walk because I may just throw something if that suggestion is offered to me again about much of anything. lol

04/05/2009 06:21 AM
greenguitar28
greenguitar28  

04/05/2009 10:50 PM
Chanda
Chanda  
VIP Member

Snoopers2009, YES, I totally get this and then it gives me a awful headache, ugh. I take advil sometimes even, or I try to stretch my neck and back out, but that only usually helps for a sec., Ive even put the heating pad on. Im trying to figure out how to deal with this too. I go to the chiro. practor and that helps for a day or two, but then its back to aching. Hang in there and let me know if u find out anything that helps.

Green, thanks for the link, I will check it out.

04/06/2009 08:00 AM
Snoopers2009
Snoopers2009  

Thanks, green... I just read the article and also sent it to my aunt who is having TRULY severe issues with this right now - Her head is at a constant angle from the pain. They've even tried botox and that had no effect.

Chanda --- I actually *do* have something that helps me a lot when I bother to do it. I have a homedics back massager... One of those old heavy ones... and it does a miraculous job of relaxing the muscles and increasing blood flow. It's better if someone else does it for you but I've become something of a pro at getting all the areas myself. The vibrations *do* take some getting used to but if you'll get past that, I think you'll find that one of the heavy-duty massagers are better than the light ones everyone seems to buy now. The weight helps so you don't have to use your own strength to press down when you're doing yourself. Pardon the pun. lol

04/06/2009 08:05 AM
Snoopers2009
Snoopers2009  

http://www.homedics.com/products/massage/handheld-massagers/ therapist-select-percussion-massager-with-heat.html <<--- Here's the closet thing I've found by them to what I have now. There's another one for $30 and I'm not sure what the price difference is.

04/06/2009 09:31 AM
dreamsofinsomnia
dreamsofinsomnia  
VIP Member

i have the same problem when i am upset it seems that my neck and between my shoulder blades just kills. I feel for you. I take lots of warm baths and sleep with an electric matress pad, you heard me not a electric blanket but matress pad. My mother and law gave it to me and it works great

04/06/2009 09:41 AM
Chanda
Chanda  
VIP Member

Thanks Snoopers, I have actually tried them before and it felt like it hurt some, but then when I got use to it, it was like ok, thats the spot, my parents actually have 2 kinds of them my brother gave them, so I will have to see which one will work best for me. My hubby does a good job when he wants to give a back massage, but he doesnt want to 24/7 lol, thanks!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved