MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/29/2012 07:04 AM

Thyroid problems? Pineal gland tumors?

GabsBaxter

Hi, all -

Just wondering how many of us have either been diagnosed with thyroid problems?

Also - I have a pinhead-sized tumor on my pineal gland (found when getting a CT scan for Bell's Palsy last year...); anyone else have a pineal tumor?

The pineal gland is where melatonin, tryptophan, and pinoline are produced.

If anyone else on the Anxiety Support Forum suffers from depression also, and you are as anal retentive as me and do a lot of research (or are a brainiac like I am...LOL...) circadian rhythms play a big part in Major Deperessive Disorder/Clinical Depression and GAD, too.

The thyroid plays an important part in mood regulation as well; any of you who have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis know that one of the major symptoms of undiagnosed low thyroid issues is depression...

In any event, it will be interesting to see how many of us have these things in common.

Thanks for participating in my "Armchair Endocrinologist Study", gang!

Smile

Gabs

06/29/2012 07:41 AM
LostInCyberspace12
LostInCyberspace12  
VIP Member

I know I don't have thyroid problems at least according to my doctor. Not sure how much the pineal gland tumor might be effecting you? How is your sleep? Is your doctor treating you for these two things? There are other disorders that can cause and aggravate anxiety disorders like panic but these are not found in most individuals...at least initially. Panic disorder I know usually starts in the late teens or 20's. It is rare to see PD after the age of 30. It does happen but it is uncommon. I would actually love to find a physical cause for my anxiety disorder. I have struggled with this crap over 2 decades. Psychiatrists have all told me it is caused by neurotransmitter imbalances in the brain but that is just a theory. I really wish I knew for sure. I have often thought perhaps I have a small tumor on my amygdala or something like that but just speculation on my part.

06/29/2012 07:44 AM
GabsBaxter

yeah - I sleep fine, really. I started with DP when I was 21...

Yeah - weird, huh? The brain is a funky place!

Wouldn't it be great if we had a real, physical answer for all of our anxiety?

06/29/2012 08:13 AM
LostInCyberspace12
LostInCyberspace12  
VIP Member

Yes, i would love to know exactly why I feel the way i feel GabsBaxter even if nothing could be done about it. I would just love to know exactly why. I spent the 1st 10 years of my disorder in the public library looking for physical causes, saw a variety of doctors, had a battery of tests, spent a ton of money (had really good insurance at the time tho and that helped a lot), and still no answers to this day. I think I was 25 when this all started happening to me. Prior to this, I was or at least I thought I was in perfect health. I mean I was feeling fantastic and then one day I started feeling this vague feeling of not feeling well with an odd chest discomfort and then as the days went by, things just got progressively worse until it eventually culminated in my 1st panic attack which felt like a heart attack to me.

06/29/2012 03:51 PM
Raoul
RaoulPosts: 4011
VIP Member

Gabs -

Please define how you plan to do that "Armchair Endocrinologist Study".

Raoul

06/30/2012 08:47 AM
jazzyskye
jazzyskyePosts: 5

I was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's...finding a good endocrinologist is stressing me out right now so I can't really get into it at the moment. Just wanted to let you know you're not the only one.

Post edited by: jazzyskye, at: 06/30/2012 08:55 AM

06/30/2012 08:55 AM
needserenity
needserenity  

Hi Gabs - I started having panic attacks right after my 21st birthday and yes I have thyroid problems. My doc found nodules on my thyroid (both sides) about 6 years ago. After an inconclusive biopsy I had the left side removed and fortunately there was no cancer. I now see my Endocrinologist yearly to keep an eye on the nodules that are left. The docs said it could help with the anxiety and it does seem that the anxiety and panic attacks aren't as intense as they used to be but.... The mind can do amazing things right?

06/30/2012 10:56 AM
GabsBaxter

Yeah...I'm wicked interested in all of this stuff because I just found out last spring that I have the pinhead-sized tumor on my pineal glad...and the pineal gland makes melotonin and serotonin and all that good stuff.

Yeah, it's pretty weird, right?

I'm glad that you made out ok with the thyroid stuff Smile

06/30/2012 12:16 PM
LostInCyberspace12
LostInCyberspace12  
VIP Member

How was this small tumor discovered/diagnosed? CT/MRI?

06/30/2012 12:18 PM
needserenity
needserenity  

Thanks Gabs hope you make out well too Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved