MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/07/2012 04:19 AM

Scared after panic attack

Rflattsfan78
Rflattsfan78  

I know sometimes it takes a while for the body to calm down from having a bad panic attack...I had a bad one Saturday and ever since then I'm on edge, scared of having another one and can't seem to relax. Anyone else feel like this after having a bad one?

05/07/2012 04:28 AM
damselndistress
damselndistressPosts: 16953
Group Leader

Yes I almost felt there were chemicals involved in this-may sound crazy but I think that level maybe high in you right now and the reason another attack feels imminent.

You might try drinking water.

Doing feel good activities to increase endorphins.

Oh yeah it was my norepinephrine when I was tested it was 800.

Normal is like 400.

I had about 4 panic attacks that day.

Post edited by: damselndistress, at: 05/07/2012 04:29 AM

05/07/2012 07:26 AM
zaylia
zaylia  

stretching a bunch should be helpful Smile

05/07/2012 10:58 AM
Ginag
Ginag  
I'm an Advocate

Hi R

been there done that. It's an aftershock called the "What if's"

Anticipation of the next time. Avoidence kicks in and I want to isolate.

I use cognitive thinking to break the pattern.

05/07/2012 01:22 PM
Raoul
RaoulPosts: 4009
VIP Member

Hi R

I get that effect - I feel bad for weeks after a bad panic attack.

What do you do to counter act that feeling?

Raoul

05/08/2012 03:52 AM
Rflattsfan78
Rflattsfan78  

Yep, I get those aftershocks Gina really bad for a good several days after a bad panic attack! Just like the panic attack was the earthquake, and what I'm experiencing now are aftershocks of anticipatory anxiety scared of having another one. That's a pretty good analogy.

05/08/2012 07:27 AM
zaylia
zaylia  

i dont usually get the after shocks. but i do really like the feeling after a panic attack. i actually adore it. not the first couple years i had them. was all so scary and confusing. but once you really do know it will pass. afterwards can feel like a gift. haha, well for me. like the feeling after crying. i used to be terrified of crying more. but once old enough knwoing it will pass. its just because of a build up in my brain and tension etc. i get to just feel tired, and a release of that tension. my mind clears and i feel kind of zen actually

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved