MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/01/2012 05:24 AM

Why do I feel this way? Help please(page 3)

JodieLB
JodieLB  

My heart goes out to everyone on this discussion. I have had anxiety/panic disorder for 20 years and at times I have felt great. I was fine for years at a time but then the last couple of years it has come back full force. I agree that we can be stressed and tense without giving it much thought and then our mind finally reacts to all the stress. I feel super tense, arms ache etc and I know it is the anxiety. Believe me, I have been through the episodes where I thought I was dying. It is the worst feeling in the world!! You are not alone!!! I will help anyone through this, it is nice for me to have someone else that gets it too.

05/01/2012 08:27 AM
VanessaJade
VanessaJade  

I need help, i cant sleep i start to go in panic mode, my upper left arm, and my chest hurts i dont know why its so strong...

05/01/2012 09:45 AM
JodieLB
JodieLB  

I agree with Mandi. You should go to your primary care physician or better yet a Psychiatrist. I started getting my first panic attacks around your age and it can be related to hormones or other things that a doctor can help you with. I take a low dose of anti depressant and take anti anxiety meds as needed (xanax). I only take the xanax if I have to have it because it can be habit forming. It is a blessing though when you are in a panic attack because it is the only thing for me that pulls me out of it. I know it is scary!! I feel better when I see my doctor because she is a woman and understands the different triggers for anxiety disorders. You will be ok, just get some help. Sometimes you can't do it alone.

05/01/2012 09:48 AM
mandieo

That's true. I thought I could but meds help pull me put of the panic cycle and help my brain not repeat such irrational fears

05/01/2012 09:52 AM
chan2784
chan2784Posts: 75

Vanessa, I can see you are going through a very tough time, but its good that you have a supportive family, their support and understanding can go a long way in helping you in the long run. The more you talk with them about how you feel and the more you include them in your coping methods for anxiety/panic, the better they can help.

I definatly understand the fear of medications, I went through that for quite a while, I didn't want to take them, didn't think they would help. But the truth is doctors that prescribe medications are only trying to help you get better. If the medications don't work for you, or you come across a medication that you research and prefer not to take, you can always discuss that with your doctor and they will no doubt do their best to find something that will help.

I see that you have a bit of trouble with tension and sometimes insomnia. One thing that might help with the muscle tension that you can try, is progressive muscle relaxation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_muscle_relaxation

It can help your muscles relax during anxiety/panic to help ease off the tension and pain you are feeling, just be careful and take things slow. The whole idea is to relax. To help with the trouble sleeping, do anything you can to relax your mind, try not to focus on your physical symptoms(if there are any) if you are feeling anxious, don't fight it, let it pass and try to let your mind go blank, deep breathing can help. If you have any decaffiennated tea, that might also help you sleep. Although I also read you are taking something for high blood pressure(if its a water pill, ask your doctor before trying tea with chamomile in it. Since chamomile is a light anti-diuretic).

I hope things improve for you, and take everything I said with a grain of salt, they are only suggestions that I hope help you in some ways. But everyone is different, and different things, work for different people.

05/01/2012 09:55 AM
JodieLB
JodieLB  

YES!! I can't imagine not having medicine now. I have gone through episodes of getting better, so I tapered off meds. But eventually, Panic returns!! Tried that twice. No more!!! My Psychiatrist said some people just have that kind of brain chemistry. It is nothing we do wrong. It is no different than having any other medical problem. You have to take care of YOU Smile

05/01/2012 10:11 AM
VanessaJade
VanessaJade  

thank you so much i appriciate everyone's help.

one question does anxiety give you like fear you might hurt yourself or others? again id never do anything but i feel bad about having them.. its horrible.

05/01/2012 11:04 AM
mandieo

I have those fleeting thoughts sometimes. Not sure why though. Mostly I get afraid that I will "snap". I used to be afraid of all the sharp things in the house because I envisioned myself harming myself with them

05/01/2012 11:13 AM
damselndistress
damselndistressPosts: 16968
Group Leader

I've had what mandi called the fleeting fear.

The thing I get fixated on is more my health that's something is wrong with me and there for a long way it was the specific though that I was gonna die and I'd say that thought would cross my mind about 5x per day and I'd get all affected by it.

So it's weird how mental problems give you weird thoughts.

For some it's a feeling that they are going to do something harmful or a strange impulse to do so.

For others it's that something bad is going to happen to them or someone they love.

It can feel really real at the time is the scary part?

But after a while I just made a decision to try to control that because it wasn't really helping me.

05/01/2012 12:04 PM
VanessaJade
VanessaJade  

oh my god. mandi thats exacly how i feel. i feel scared of sharp objects because i feel omg what if i snap without me wanting to and i hurt myself or my family? i would never do so. but the very thought. scares me to death.. i also lock my door at night because i think what if i sleep walk and hurt myself without me knowing. i dont know i have severe panic attacks. or when i go up the stairs my heart pounds. and my chest burns and hurts. and left arm feels heavy and muscle cramps

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 3 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved