MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/26/2012 01:17 AM

Fasting for anxiety

LostInCyberspace12
LostInCyberspace12  
VIP Member

I am almost a 30 year panic and anxiety sufferer. I have been on the Rx drug merry-go-round for years. I have been tried on virtually all the SSRI's and benzodiazepines. I have also been tried briefly on some of the AP's but always had to discontinue due to bothersome side effects. I have an unusual question.

After having tried all the conventional methods to control/ manage my anxiety over the years, has anyone ever tried any unconventional protocols?

I am not talking about things like yoga, meditation, herbal medicine, exercise, etc. I am doing all those things now. What I am thinking about is fasting. I know this may seem counterintuitive and the first thing people will say is that this might be bad for anxiety sufferers because we need to keep blood sugar levels as stable as possible. I am not talking about extended fasts. I am talking about fasting no longer than 1 day a week using water only.

I have read some interesting studies and anecdotal testimonies by some who swear this has helped them.

Any thoughts or comments sincerely appreciated.

04/26/2012 08:31 AM
damselndistress
damselndistressPosts: 16953
Group Leader

Yes it does help in fact if we did not have to eat at all we might be cured but this is very dangerous I want to warn you.

I do feel more anxiety in fact most of my anxiety revolves around food.

Food is not perfect it's full of crap that we do not need.

Poison if you want to call that we are most likely poisoning our bodies with the food we eat that and the air we breathe so?

The thing is we cannot live without food even if it would make us feel better short term in the long term no you would get very sick.

So yes I basically think food can be a source for part of our problems.

You might want to try to clean up your diet as much as possible by eating organics and eating lean meats like fish or chicken. Weird thing I don't think I can eat either of all things the one meat I tolerate is pork! Crazy I tell you.

I just want to warn you because this is a very dangerous path.

I would encourage much more the choosing your foods carefully.

Trying to eat a nice healthy diet of greens nice fresh organic fruits and vegetables and farm raised meats maybe grass fed organic and go from there.

But yes you are onto something it is just dangerous! You might start fasting see how much better you feel and not want to stop.

04/26/2012 09:39 AM
LostInCyberspace12
LostInCyberspace12  
VIP Member

@ damselndistress, thanks for the feedback and thoughtful reply. I agree fully with what you said. Fasting can be dangerous if it is not approached cautiously. I am gradually doing some of the things you suggested by 1st cleaning up my crappy diet. Like most people, I have eaten the wrong foods for most of my life and both the mind and body want to rebel so to speak when you try to change to foods that are more healthier for you but may take time for your taste buds to adapt.

My main problem damselndistress is refined sugar. This may sound crazy to you but even knowing what it does to me, I still eat it occasionally. It is like an almost irresistible urge.

I guess it's akin to the lifelong smoker with lung disease or even cancer who continues to smoke. You know it is bad for you but you find it almost impossible to stop. I actually know several people like this who still smoke. Again, thank you for your response. I will come back and update this thread periodically.

04/26/2012 09:59 AM
damselndistress
Group Leader

Please do let us know how you are doing and I hear you on the addictions.

I have had sugary drinks of some form most of my life.

When I basically stopped them all together my body went through huge withdrawal. I got so desperate I actually put a teaspoon of sugar in water and that would satisfy me for a short while but I still crave a Pepsi, or Coke or Mountain Dew. OMG! the desire is incredible.

Anyway I had to do a lot of self talk reinforcing that my body did not need this. That my body needed water and nutrients. I had to remind myself that there were people living in parts of the world who did not even have access to these things and lived on foods and liquids native to their area and were in fact healthier than most of Western culture dietary wise.

So this is something that was very difficult to get past for me and I still cheat and put Nesquik in my milk and I drink the plainest Gatorade I can find for the Potassium and Sodium that I presume I lack in my diet.

So I am not sugar free at all.

And if I could tolerate a carbonated sweetened beverage you had better believe I would be drinking it but I do believe I've developed a strange intolerance to it. Maybe my body revolted who knows.

04/28/2012 12:43 PM
LostInCyberspace12
LostInCyberspace12  
VIP Member

Damsel, exactly how long has it been now since you've had a Pepsi, or Coke or Mountain Dew? You are right. Our bodies do not need these things. In fact, they are toxic to the body. I have got to hand it to the food manufacturers. They have found a way with foods and drinks to tap into our brain's pleasure centers. Once you have experienced these things, the brain never forgets. Our bodies are pretty resilient and can probably handle a little of this stuff from time to time. The problem is we find ourselves eating like this all the time for many years until we finally become sick from doing it.

About a year ago, I cleaned up my diet really, really good. It took about a month to see a positive benefit but I slowly began to feel better and better. The problem was although I felt better and had more energy, I thought I could start to cheat just a little here and there with some of my favorite foods that I had just missed so much. Soon, one baby snickers candy bar turned into a whole adult bar and then 3 or 4 bars eaten @ one sitting and the same with other foods. It is a very tough thing to do and to do it the rest of your life. The thought of possibly never being able to eat again the foods you grew up on and love so much is almost painful in a way, but I must embark on this quest if I wish to salvage what is left of my health and even possible restoration.

I can eat a slice of pecan pie now for example and my heart starts flipping out and my anxiety spikes. While I may not know the exact medical reasons why this happens now, the innate wisdom of my body is trying to tell me this is not good for you anymore and you had better stop it before something really bad happens. Many of us choose to ignore these signs and keep going down the same path until eventually something catastrophic happens in our lives that we may then never be able to recover from.

Thanks again damsel for this dialogue. I hope you have a terrific weekend.

04/28/2012 05:07 PM
damselndistress
Group Leader

It's been over a year since I drank it freely.

I've had sips but I have a corn allergy.

Most pop is full of corn syrup so I avoid it.

Smile

04/29/2012 09:00 PM
Etherealgirl

LostInCyberspace12,

I do not recommend fasting. I too have a lot of anxiety revolving around food. Somedays I get so scared to eat but I know you have to eat to live. Fasting is not good for the body. I would do what Damsel suggested, cleaning up your diet and drinking lots of water.

Whenever I don't get enough to eat I feel awful bringing on anxiety. I've read somewhere that people who do not practice proper eating habits or who don't get enough calories are actually more likely to suffer from panic attacks/anxiety.

04/30/2012 04:53 AM
LostInCyberspace12
LostInCyberspace12  
VIP Member

@ Etherealgirl, thanks for you input. I am doing what damsel suggested 1st. I am trying hard to clean up my cruddy diet, but I am finding is more easier said than done. For example, I did good the whole week until yesterday. I drank nothing but water and ate a ton of fruits and veggies, a little lean meat, and plenty of nuts, seeds, and beans I also enjoy fresh, organic eggs.

I felt about the same anxiety wise but my heart palps had stopped for the most part. Then yesterday, I caved and had a really big piece of cake and a giant glass of Sunny D and almost immediately after eating it, the heart palps started back up and my baseline anxiety spiked. Eating healthy is a very hard thing to do on a long-term consistent basis. I seem to do ok for a little while and then I go almost crazy to eat the foods that I have been avoiding that I know are not good for me. It is crazy I know but I am sure other struggle with this as well.

If I do the fast, I will be very safe. I am even going to run it past my medical doctor first and it won't be any longer than a day per week. I am not talking about doing anything radical like those really long fasts for weeks. Whether is turns out good or bad, I will return and let everyone know the outcome.

Thanks again for you reply. Much appreciated!

04/30/2012 06:12 AM
damselndistress
Group Leader

Magnesium is great for calming the heart but I would look for natural ways to get it.

It can lower the blood pressure and mine runs low anyway so the idea of taking a tablet scares me.

When my heart was going really crazy I started drinking ensure and it was amazing.

The nutritional and mineral supplements in it really calmed my heart down.

Veggies or anything that comes from the earth contain magnesium or is supposed to.

I've read articles that state our soil is so over farmed there are scant minerals left.

The problem with sunny D and cake is sugar overload. That's like sending your body on a blood sugar/ insulin roller coaster. I started noticing trouble with that too a couple years ago-well right after the birth of my 4th child I could not handle big sugar dumps like that any more. it made me feel like crapolla.

It's so common it seems for people to get into trouble with food.

My husbands is a bad pancreas and intolerance for fat.

We have to eat to live and we're basically a glutanance culture.

We have no real discipline when it comes to food and eat what tastes good.

That basically means sugar and fat.DizzySad

Post edited by: damselndistress, at: 04/30/2012 06:14 AM

04/30/2012 07:58 AM
LostInCyberspace12
LostInCyberspace12  
VIP Member

@ damsel

* so true what you said above. Food is the one thing we can't live without. I am slowly trying to make the positive changes necessary but it is gonna be hard I know.

Let me ask you something. I think I have asked you before, but I can not recall. You take no Rx meds for you anxiety right and never have? Is that correct?

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved