MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/15/2012 10:01 AM

anxiety and new meds

zaylia
zaylia  

im on my first day of a new adhd med. it is 12 hrs lasting so im terrified. im freaking out a bit. i feel sooo needy and just dont want to be alone. i LOVE being alone though! i know its the unknown of this thats scaring me. do any of you get this? if i didnt have lemon balm and holy basil tea uid still be so tensed wheere i hurt my arms and neck and jaw etc. so thank goodness that isnt there. so if you have bad anxiety, lemon balm, and holy basil so awesome!.. but ya any words you tell yourselves to help calm down frolm the unknown??sorry im just so scared. i really wish id never taken a new med. id rather feel sad than crazed. i know i dont breathe properly ever, but now worse, so my heart keeps jumping. so im terrified im hurting my heart too. and just i know thinking less would help, but now i can focus more easily so its hard to zone out, like i normally would when so panicked... any quick tips?? PLEASE and THANK YOU

03/15/2012 10:26 AM
damselndistress
damselndistressPosts: 16985
Group Leader

New meds can be scary.

I'm withnyou anything you can do to calm down and stay calm is good.

I do a lot of nonsense activity.

We have these game apps for the iPad

Well my daughter likes the Pet Rescue so I try to get her center loaded with pets for her so they are waiting for her when she gets home from school.

I feel like it's silly and childish that I get on these games but then when I can use it to interact with my kids it feels good and we do it all for free.

Anything that calms you and takes your mind off your worries should work.

Take breaks too and do active things so you get your body moving.

Good luck to you.Smile

Post edited by: damselndistress, at: 03/15/2012 10:26 AM

03/15/2012 10:34 AM
zaylia
zaylia  

thank your for the reply! i was thinking activity might make it worse for some reason... silly me, im going to clean i think. i have 900+ apps lol! big fan of those little games. i just dont like them when im real stressed for some reason. keep thinking i just wish i didnt have gad so that i could deal with new meds more easily. my anxiety has created allergies, so i cant take meds everyday to get really used to them otherwise i get rashes and hives a lot. my ocd gets worse too when i can focus more, little why i try not to clean, i get so frustrated it never clean enough, but ya, more i think about it. getting consumed with cleaning would be good right now. thank you, hope you have a wonderful day!

03/15/2012 10:36 AM
zaylia
zaylia  

also want to thank you or the simplicity in your answer. made me feel more calm. Smile got some more hope for the day Smile

03/15/2012 11:09 AM
jenny1978
jenny1978  
VIP Member

I take ADHD meds too. Back when I first started taking them, if I would have anxiety/panic, I would color. It helped me because it got my mind off of how I was feeling. I'm on a HIGH dose of adhd meds now. They are extended release and I use to take them a few times a day, but then I was told that since they are supposed to last for 11 hours, then I'm supposed to take my whole dose all at once in the morning. And especially since I've been on it a while and my body is use to it. But back to the point. Coloring has always been a good thing for me to do!

03/15/2012 11:30 AM
zaylia
zaylia  

hmm that definitely sounds interesting, and worth a try. thank you for that idea!!

Post edited by: zaylia, at: 03/15/2012 11:49 AM

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved