MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/16/2011 09:13 AM

Does anyone?

lila13
lila13Posts: 11

Does anyone worry about how their stressed out behaviour affects their children?

11/16/2011 01:28 PM
frog44

yes, I am always worried about that!!

11/16/2011 02:10 PM
leandrat

yup, but i turned it around and started to teach my son at the age of 2 how to meditate so when i felt stressed we could do it together we also do yoga together when its bad i just go take a bath so he isnt around it he is 4 now and does these things alone

11/16/2011 02:21 PM
barelymanic
barelymanic  
VIP Member

Wow I have to say I am impressed that you could teach meditation to a two year old. Maybe you should run some parenting classes.

11/16/2011 06:23 PM
lila13
lila13Posts: 11

I grew up watching my dad spaz out all the time. I inherited an anxious personality from him, as well as ocd. My dad has never tried to curb his anxious behaviour and it has always been a huge source of stress for me, as we are so much alike. Sometimes, I can barely stand being in the same room with him, as much as I love him. Unfortunately, I often catch myself acting stressed out in front of my son and think to myself that I am doing exactly to my son what my dad does to me. I am really trying to be a better rold model when it comes to getting my stressed out behaviour under control, especially around my son.

Post edited by: lila13, at: 11/16/2011 06:24 PM

11/16/2011 07:27 PM
Bangbang
Bangbang  
VIP Member

I have trained all my kids(5)how to meditate. I also taught them a Karate Kata called Sanchin. It is a deep breathing excercize that relaxes all the muscles in your body. If you are out of breath it turns your breathing to normal. I use it when I am realy stressed.

11/17/2011 09:28 AM
Ginag
Ginag  
I'm an Advocate

I always got short of breath and I did breath relaxation too. Found out I had a hole in my heart. Surgery and all is well. now I do the deap breath and it is great.

11/17/2011 10:03 AM
Bangbang
Bangbang  
VIP Member

Glad the surgery worked for you.

11/17/2011 12:25 PM
leandrat

Yup from the age of 2 we started learning to slow his breathing down, then starting at toes working up use his minds eye to relax every part of the toes,feet,shins,calves ect (mine you now doing this taught him basic anatomy as well he can made the most basic of all his internal organs and groups of such things lol)

We just started yoga at the age of 3 we watched me a few times I didnt MAKE him do it then it kinda just started to become OUR morning THING to do together before James woke up and went to work lol

I dont even have him all the time right now (in court) i only get him every other weekend so i could ONLY think what he would be like if/when he is full time!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved