MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/12/2011 12:03 AM

Training the mind and your thoughts.

goldfrappe
goldfrappePosts: 188

Earlier this year I was doing better. I went almost a week without having any anxiety or panic, I was peaceful, calm and content. I was meditating every day, i was doing relaxation and breathing exercises every day, I was journaling every day, and I was working on my thoughts and being aware of them. I have to say that the mind obviously is an extremely powerful thing. It's like a spoiled child that constantly wants attention, and can't sit still for a minute. Just close your eyes and pay attention to your thoughts for 5 minutes, and see how many different things run through your mind without you consciously thinking of them. Our thoughts really do create our reality, and our feelings. But, feelings are just feelings, they aren't necessarily reality. I think the reason I regressed back into my anxiety after doing pretty well for a little while was because my mind got the best of me and I just started letting it take over, and I stopped being strict with it, so I stopped doing a lot of those things that were helping me. I know how difficult it can be to calm yourself down and not let the thoughts take you over when you're anxious or having panic, but it would make it so much better, and you'd realize how powerful these thoughts are, and how damaging they can be. I think most people know that meditation is very important, and obviously cognitive behavioral therapy is along the same lines of training and changing your thinking. These are great tools to have. A few books that I read that really have given me insight and perspective have been by some of these authors: Eckhart Tolle, Byron Katie, Wayne Dyer and Joe Dispenza. I've also really liked books about Tao Te Ching and buddhism, because their philosophy takes an approach towards being aware of your mind and the roots of your suffering.

07/12/2011 03:49 AM
leandrat

I agree I do avid meditation daily, write, and other things when I slow down or stop those my panic tales back over alis I've been bad the last 4 months being prego and scared of something going wrong I need to get back into that for sure now! I'm doing well with no real "attack" for about a month or two but high anxieties for sure

But hey from going from every three hour attacks to one every month is kick ass lol....

07/12/2011 11:30 PM
goldfrappe
goldfrappePosts: 188

that's awesome. my only trouble is that i seem to always have unrealistic or high expectations, and i'm also impatient and i get tired and bored of things easily, and if i don't see results right away i give up or think it won't work. My problem is sticking with things, no matter what. It's like my mind wants instant gratification, and I get annoyed and mad and quit, and that prevents me from getting anywhere.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved