MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/24/2012 11:52 PM

Has anyone here applied for SSI or SSD for anxiety(page 7)

chan2784
chan2784Posts: 75

I guess I've kind of been in hiding for a while, been struggling a lot to get by day by day for a while now. But I thought it may not hurt to poke my head in here and update.

I was finally scheduled for a hearing for my SSI next month on april 17th, and I've been constantly freaking out about it, I have no idea what I should do, if I should do anything. I had a brief meeting with my lawyer about it which I was a nervous wreck all the way through. All I really gathered is that its going to be by video conference call at my lawyers office, and that I'm going to have to answer questions, but I have no idea what these questions are, or if i'll even be able to physically speak during this hearing, as I get so nervous that my throat dries out, I get a frog in my throat, and I just can't get myself to talk when I get that bad.

But I'm just getting myself twisted in knots going over it right now. Can't help but feel I've gotten worse since I started all this my SSI has been in limbo for almost a year and a half, medical expenses, and expenses in general have piled up over $8000 on credit cards. So afraid they are going to deny it again and I'm going to be left with nothing to keep my life from falling apart.

please forgive my panicing over it all, I've just been losing my mind over it almost non stop for the past 2 weeks since I got the letter about the hearing being scheduled. and its got me really shaken up, and I guess unstable, haven't been able to relax, and have been relying on sleep aids just to get to sleep for the past 2 weeks.

03/25/2012 07:21 AM
Ginag
Ginag  
I'm an Advocate

HI

if you are going to have anxiety/ panic , in front of the judge is the best place. He/She can see it first hand. don't worry about being unable to speak, that's what you are ppaying your lawyer for. Write the main points down. Why you can't work, such as sensory stimulation ( noise, crowds, pressure for deadlines) ( how can they accomidate for your anxiety? they usually look at the Americans with disabilities act that says if a company can adapt for you, you can work.Not all will do that. No one can adapt for anxiety/ panic.

03/26/2012 09:43 AM
leandrat

Yes I got SSDI/SSI without a lawyer, without leaving my house, without going to court

If you need to talk about it message me I can also link you paper work for your docotors to fill out to help you get it

Start to finish it took me 3 months to get approved and get my first check

03/26/2012 09:57 PM
Raoul
RaoulPosts: 4012
VIP Member

HI Lee - If you get support for your anxiety and panic - let me know - I will try to get it too.

hugs

04/30/2012 02:15 AM
chan2784

Had my SSI Hearing on the 17th, I was a total mess. I first had to go in without my father, who is usually with me for support. As soon as I sat down in the room where the video conference call was going to be held, I just fell apart and started crying.

Fortunatly my lawyer saw that I wasn't able to hold myself together and went to get my father, which changed the course of plans my lawyer had set out, but if I wasn't able to answer any questions, I have no idea how the hearing would of gone.

Was asked a lot of questions about how my daily life is, and what restricts me from interacting with people. When the judge turned to the vocational expert there, he first listed a bunch of my physical limitations and asked if there was work available. The vocational expert listed 2 jobs, a small parts assembler, and a bakery racker. But since one of the limitations the judge set down was that there could be no time constraints or quotas to meet, my lawyer challenged that the jobs were outside of the limitations, but the vocational expert went on to say that they didn't, and were fine. (which my lawyer told me after the hearing, left a solid option for an appeal, should my SSI not get approved). Following that the judge listed my mental limitations, including that I needed to have my father with me to be able to stay calm and focused enough to perform a job, for which then the vocational expert said there were no jobs.

My lawyer tried to reassure me that it looked very promising, but I still can't help but worry, this has been on hold for about 16 months now, and I've worked up so much debt in living expenses and medical bills. Based anyones experiences, and the information i gave about my hearing, does it actually sound promising, and am I worrying for nothing?

I'm supposed to get the answer back in the mail 2-3 weeks after the hearing, so I should hear back in the next week or so. But the wait is really wearing on me now.

04/30/2012 06:39 AM
damselndistress
damselndistressPosts: 16963
Group Leader

Try not to worry.

I think the lawyer is going to try to help you get benefits.

04/30/2012 07:47 AM
LostInCyberspace12
LostInCyberspace12  
VIP Member

I think your ALJ hearing went ok from what you said. I have been on SSDI since Aug. 2011.

DX = panic disorder, OCD, severe GAD, and moderate depression

I worked for over 20 years with these problems with the aid of psychiatric meds until I was just not able to work any longer. I did not use a lawyer but I did use a SSDI disability advocate (Allsup), and they were absolutely wonderful. I was denied at the 1st two levels but was approved at level 3 (OTR) so i did not have to appear live before an ALJ.

Try not to stress too bad while you await the judge's decision. It sounds to me like things went well for you. How old are you and how long have you suffered with the anxiety disorder if you don't mind me asking? Good luck to you. I have met many people on this board and others who have been approved for anxiety disorders.

PS - It took me almost 2 years to get. I know the long wait can really put you in a financial bind and this just makes your anxiety that much more worse. Hang in there my friend.

Post edited by: LostInCyberspace12, at: 04/30/2012 07:51 AM

04/30/2012 09:18 AM
Ginag
Ginag  
I'm an Advocate

i think it would be to their advantage seeing what your condition does to you. It makes it real.Prayers lifted up for you.

04/30/2012 05:21 PM
chan2784

In reply to lostincyberspace12, I've dealt with it for as long as I can remember to some degree. Was always a shy and withdrawn kid when i was growing up, I always kept to myself. It didn't really start getting worse until my mid teenage years when I ended up in a different school than my former classmates, and ended up having to actually physically defend myself on more than one occasion. My first and only job after dropping out of highschool only lasted 3 hours before I just couldn't handle it anymore and walked out. I am 27 now, and since that first attempt at a job when i was 16, I have only even managed 2 interviews, both of which I just couldn't even get myself to speak clearly, so I'm pretty sure I wasn't even considered for the jobs. As time went on I couldn't even get myself to go out and look for work, and now I can't even go out alone without having panic attacks.

So I wasn't always as bad as I am now, I've just continued to withdraw more and more over the past 10-15 years and I've pretty much closed myself off from the rest of the world, but I'm struggling to get back out there.

Post edited by: chan2784, at: 04/30/2012 05:21 PM

05/02/2012 12:50 PM
LostInCyberspace12
LostInCyberspace12  
VIP Member

I completely understand chan2784. You sound like you are almost agoraphobic. I suppose I was fortunate when I was younger because I was put on meds and they did allow me to function enough to work for several years but I still struggled while on meds for years also. I was fortunate in that I have never developed agoraphobia. I do fear going out around people when I am really anxious or being in crowds but I can still do these things if I have to.

Even if you did not have a lot of medical documentation for the SSI, it still sounds to me like your SSI ALJ hearing went well. Hopefully, the judge saw for himself how impairing your mental health condition is. Just keep the faith chan2784. I sincerely hope your claim gets approved. I see a lot of myself in you, except I am a lot older. I have also slowly withdrawn too and now have minimal personal contact with others. I can deal with the panic attacks a lot better than I can with the general anxiety that you experience all day long.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 7 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved