MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/12/2010 01:54 PM

driving anxiety.

xsunshinee
xsunshinee  

So i have a huge fear of driving!

and oddly enough, its not about me dying or getting hurt. its about me hurting other people, or them thinking im a bad driver!

Lately, my whole family has been bugging me sooo bad to get my license. but im so scared i cant even practice.

At night when nobodys on the road, im perfectly fine.

but once i see someone on the road i panic like crazy.

and my parents just think im a nutcase, they dont understand why i cant just do it.

anyone have any tips to calm down? especially during the driving test?

03/12/2010 10:00 PM
bindiboo
bindiboo  
I'm an Advocate

HI...I wish I could giveyou some advice to help you except I have had the same fear for the last year....Luckily I got my license when I was 17 & now at nearlly 36 it scares me......I was driving fine for 18 years but I had a major anxiety attack in the car by myself a year ago & I haven't been able to drive by myself anywhere..It sux....I no how you feel when you say ppl think why can't you do it..??? Its hard but my only advice I can give you is keep trying......Just remember they are only thoughts & practise makes perfect,,,For me its just the thought of having attack in the car....I hate it...Best of Luck...Keep me posted......Smile

03/13/2010 07:47 PM
lovespeonies
lovespeonies  
VIP Member

Getting over the fear of driving comes from repeatedly doing it. The more you drive around other cars the better you will feel. I believe what you are going through is completely normal and happens to alot of people. As far as the drivers test... you have to believe that you are a good driver. The more prepared and confident you are the better. You have to mentally prepare yourself so you don't care whether or not you pass but know that you can. I don't know if i'm making any sense... just believe in yourself.

Post edited by: lovespeonies, at: 03/13/2010 07:49 PM

03/14/2010 07:53 AM
xsunshinee
xsunshinee  

thank youu, guys!

I think im just going to take it slow. maybe driving around the block, then a little further everyday.

Hopefully, I can get my lisence before the baby comes, so my goal is to get it by May. (:

03/14/2010 02:35 PM
Ginag
Ginag  
I'm an Advocate

Hi

Sounds like a Phobia ( unrealistic fear....unless you were in an accident) If thats the case and it is a sever phobia... counceling could get you on the right path.

Anxiety is extreme fear feelings. What is the worst case senerio, if you drove in traffic?

Either way don't drive to please others. Google and read up up on fear and phobias, maybe there will be an answer there. God Bless

03/24/2010 10:24 PM
missashley
missashley  

Boy..do I understand the fear of driving! For me, im not afraid of hurting anyone or anything like that. I can drive with people in the car no problem! (within reasonable distance of course since I am mildly agoraphobic still....) My problem is, driving alone. Its terrible. I basically gave up on it because i didnt know where to start? I have a bad issue with being alone..and driving seems to be the worst. I want to help you with your driving fears, and i so badly wish i had the answers. I did however just purchase : The Driving Fear" its an online web software aimed to help me. I keep telling myself im going to start using it...and soon i will. Im scared, what can i say? hang in there...

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved