MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/19/2009 10:21 AM

Robin416
Robin416Posts: 8

Hi all, I'm new to the group. I was diagnosed anorexic several years ago. I spent two years in therapy and consider myself 80 percent recovered. One thing that changed my mentality and encouraged recovery was the book My Life Without Ed. I joined this group for the times when Ed pays me a visit.Smile

10/19/2009 05:02 PM
QBoulevard
QBoulevardPosts: 220

Hi, welcome! I have heard great things about that book! Congrats on your recovery. I wish all it took was two years of therapy for me. Then I would have been over this some twenty-five or thirty years ago. I hope ED never pays you a visit, but that you come here frequently anyway.

10/20/2009 06:47 AM
Robin416

Yes, well, there is a lingering 20 percent to go, which I seem to be managing. It sometimes feels like I'm being haunted by ED from time to time. It happens less when I choose to focus my energy elsewhere, on things I care about in my life, things that make me, and others, happy. But the "hauntings" are no less scary when they do occur. What coping techniques do you use to overcome any relapses or moments of weakness?

10/20/2009 12:33 PM
QBoulevard

I don't know. I'm 10% recovered right now.

Post edited by: QBoulevard, at: 10/20/2009 12:33 PM

10/21/2009 03:01 PM
LauraHippieBus
LauraHippieBus  

how would you classify you recovry percentage, because im very unsure as too where I fall. And i have also heard alo0t about that book, a friend recomended it but honestly im alittle scared to read it because im sorta scared of a life without Ed. Does anyone else feel this way?

10/21/2009 03:36 PM
QBoulevard

I just found out that the author is doing a book-signing in my area over the weekend. I quickly bought the book.

When I had binge eating disorder, I hated Ed and longed for a life without him. I would have done anything to get the bingeing to stop. If someone had told me all I had to do was to cut off a finger, I would have done it. Thankfully, the bingeing stopped and I was able to live a normal life for a while. But I cannot imagine a life without anorexia.

10/21/2009 03:48 PM
LauraHippieBus
LauraHippieBus  

i know me either, it scares me, i have found so much comfort in Ed that I feel like i would be lost without it. And i know what u mean about hating another ED i had bulmia and i hated it so much, i cryed everythime i binged

10/22/2009 06:01 AM
Robin416

I classify my recovery in so many ways, but mainly, I'm eating food that nourishes my body, and I treat myself on occasion. I'm not afraid of going to restaurants with friends anymore. I still work out, but moderately. I remember sitting with my therapist, rolling my eyes, thinking there was no hope for me. I was so set in my anorexic routine; I was convinced I would never be able to break free. For me, it took a major lifestyle change. I focused on other areas of my life that were making me unhappy. I found a new job in a new city and then I read Life Without ED and I cried. It took me a while to finish it because it hit a little too close to home. But it's worth confronting.

10/22/2009 08:23 AM
QBoulevard

The book signing includes Q&A. I'll let everyone know how it goes!

10/22/2009 08:41 AM
Robin416

Great! Is that for her new book? I'll have to get that this weekend. I also gave a copy to my family so they could better understand what I was going through. It helped them to be more mindful about harassing me about my weight, which always reintroduced me to Ed. If there's someone in your life doing that to you, you might consider recommending the book to them.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved