MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/24/2012 01:50 PM

New here...here's my story(page 2)

mem8254

I also can't stand not knowing what my weight is. I mean, don't get me wrong, I can see how it can definitely be destructive, but right now I think it would be worth having a scale just so I don't go nuts.

01/25/2012 06:37 AM
claredoll77
claredoll77  
Group Leader

Well I guess I've told you my reasoning on the issue. I think scales are a huge trigger and anorexics need to learn to live without them while they are recovering. But that's just my own experience and my personal opinion. So it's an issue best brought up and solved with your therapist. Maybe some other folks will jump in and offer their thoughts on the have or not have a scale issue. (((Hugs)))

02/01/2012 07:11 AM
mem8254

My therapist didn't seem to have much of an opinion on scales. She asked why I didn't have one yet and I told her that they're expensive and I'm not sure I want to spend that much money on one. She did say though that maybe a better option would be basing my weight on how my clothes fit.

02/01/2012 06:42 PM
claredoll77
claredoll77  
Group Leader

Well I think she kind of did have an opinion if she mentioned that a better option would be to base your weight on how your clothing fit. This is what I do. It keeps me feeling "safe" (like I am still in the size I want to be in), but also keeps me from obsessing in every hormonal, fluid related bit of weight that pops on and off. A scale really is a big trigger for many with AN.

02/02/2012 10:46 AM
mem8254

Yeah, she did kind of have an opinion, but it didn't seem like much of an opinion. I don't like the idea of basing my weight off my clothes because it doesn't give me something concrete like numbers and I'm looking for numbers.

02/02/2012 12:34 PM
claredoll77
claredoll77  
Group Leader

well I mean it's all up to you. But just speaking from experience, if you're worried about becoming clinically anorexic, then it is common sense that you should not be focusing on the numbers of a scale unless it is part of a weight gain program. Your choice and you'll do what works for you.

02/02/2012 12:43 PM
mem8254

It's just that it's driving me nuts not having a scale :/

02/07/2012 05:54 PM
mem8254

I almost bought a scale and then decided not to. It's still killing me not knowing where I'm at, but you can bet that I'll be hopping onto the scale as soon as I get home next week!

02/08/2012 11:38 PM
claredoll77
claredoll77  
Group Leader

Well I understand the compulsion to do this, that's for sure. I hope it' something you can discuss in your next therapy session. Being able to talk about my obsession with numbers scales with my therapist is something that really helped me. It might be good to get to try to get to the bottom of why you need that number on the scale as an affirmative experience.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved