MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/30/2008 11:22 AM

pernicious anemia

singlemom08
singlemom08  

Along with being Bi-Polar Type II, Anxiety/Panic disorder, OCD, and many back problems I have pernicious anemia, I get monthly B-12 injections. My body doesn't produce any B-12 and at times it doesn't absorb it either.

08/24/2008 01:58 PM
piddler55
piddler55  

Hi! I just read that people who are anemic usually have digestive problems. Do you have anything like that? IBS or Crohns or anything like that? It's abt the absporption of the B12,etc. jackieSmile [img]

12/06/2008 11:50 PM
Amby99
Amby99  

hi i just stubbled upon this group and this post because i'm anemic as well. I have crohns and i can't really absorb much vitimins and like B12, follic acid, and iron. I have had anemia before and was able to get it under control but that was before my next batch of problems the crohns and my second bout with anemia. my hemoglabin is low. when i was first dianosed with crohns i think my hemoglobin was in 8.8 or something like that. i was iron pills but that was going up fast enough so i recenly about a month ago have been getting iv iron infusions once a week. my iron level has gone up and down but after a month it is now up to 10.5 which i am happy about. now the goal is to get it up to 12. and i'm sure it will happed but will take a couple of weeks.

12/01/2010 06:53 AM
monasue

I didn't know that your body wouldn't absorb the b12? So

So when you get a shot it doesn't absorb it either?

I have felt that way sometimes but didn't know

That could happen.

12/01/2010 08:58 AM
TaraT
TaraT  
VIP Member

Your body will wash out excess B12 that it can't use by way of the urinary tract. If you have pernicious anemia then the assumption is that your gut won't absorb enough...HOWEVER, if you are getting sub-lingual (under the tongue) or B12 shots then your body SHOULD use it the way it was intended unless you have another underlying medical health problem which would inhibit adequate absorption..

That would be another part of the puzzle for your hematologist or regular PC to figure out.

So if you need the added B12 and aren't getting the shots from the doc there are a lot of good liquid B12's you can buy over the counter to drop under your tongue and hold for 30 seconds or so...

There were some that you put in your nostrils because it is readily absorbed there as well...So it all depends on what you find that you like and your body is using properly.

Let us know if you have any questions.

04/11/2011 07:28 PM
Fluxtopia

Your body will wash out excess B12 that it can't use by way of the urinary tract. If you have pernicious anemia then the assumption is that your gut won't absorb enough...HOWEVER, if you are getting sub-lingual (under the tongue) or B12 shots then your body SHOULD use it the way it was intended unless you have another underlying medical health problem which would inhibit adequate absorption..

I've been taking 500mcg B12 sublingually everyday believing this, especially since when I take a multi-vitamin with 50mcg daily, I get no benefit from it and become lethargic within weeks. However, not long after I began supplementing this way, I began to have a severe breakout of acne on my back, upper arms, and even some mild acne on my stomach, much worse than I had even as a teenager. After a ton of research, I discovered that B6 and B12 over-supplementation lead to breakouts in this exact pattern, and that the reason is that high amounts of these vitamins affect your white blood cell production (I made the logical connection that you will produce more white blood cells than you need, which causes the body to fight infections in your skin more vigorously)

There are also studies where high B12 doses over time CAUSED cancer in rats, due to the over-production of white blood cells. Not to be a scaremonger, but I just wanted to point out that ultra high doses of B12 or B6 aren't necessarily safe or without consequences.

I'm really happy to happen upon this forum, because I didn't know what to do about my B12 supplementation issue, now knowing that taking what I'm taking is not a good idea. Reading about how people supplement once a week usually makes a lot more sense, since the common dose is so high at 500mcg. Although, the body will only absorb 1.5micrograms, apparently, from a dose of 10 micrograms, and doesn't increase much (by .5%) after that, so it seems strange that a once-a-week supplement would do the trick. But if it works, then I can't see a better solution really.

One of the other things I found researching today is that there is a Tufts study that discovered that 40% of people had trouble absorbing B12, despite having eaten plenty of meat, fish, eggs, etc. It did not classify these people as having pernicious anemia, instead saying 9% of people lacked intrinsic factor. I feel like I may be one of that 40%, as I have all the symptoms, which are alleviated by B12 supplementation, but my condition (chronic fatigue, severe cramping and shakiness after exercising when not on B12, depression and fogginess) aren't as severe as pernicious anemia. I am also of Celtic descent, which puts me at higher risk for this condition. My CBC had normal to high iron levels, but the low edge of normal red blood cell and blood oxygen levels, and iron supplementation has no effect on me.

I was wondering if anyone tried healing the digestive tract to improve absorption/digestion of proteins and B12? I am starting on a regimen of aloe vera juice, apple cider vinegar/water with protein meals, and elimination of caffeine and alcohol. I feel there might be a problem here because I also benefit from Vitamin C and calcium, magnesium, Vitamin D supplementation. I'd like to fix the problem and take less vitamins, and get the nutrients I need out of my food, because it seems taxing on the kidneys and maybe liver to take such large amounts of vitamins daily, and inflammation or whatever is causing my body to not function properly, over the long term, could cause cancer or other health issues.

04/12/2011 07:22 AM
TaraT
TaraT  
VIP Member

Healing the digestive tract....I have to say yes, I have tried several protocols trying to get my gut in better shape.

Due to my history of pre cancerous polyps starting at a very young age I have to assume that there was an underlying health crisis going on. I found out that I have lyme disease and have been reinfected with a blood transfusion.

THis causes a myriad of health problems...Anemia being one symptom or complication. INitially I tried doing a parasite cleanse and found that my liver had flat worms called flukes that were laying and sucking up the blood. I also found out that I had some tape worms that were also sucking on the blood supply in my gut.

I worked with a doc and tried to rid my body of these varmints. I had several other infections crop up as I was doing this due to the toxins that were released into my system due to the die off that my body did not easily detox.

So I would say one of the keys to getting the gut in better shape would be superior diet of course...NO sugar and lots of veggies...etc...

The best thing you can do is stay hydrated with plenty of fresh water.. NOT TAP water as my doc beleives I may have been infected through the local tap. Then add some fresh squeezed lemon to the water throughout the day.

My urologist just told me that fresh lemon in water was the best prevention for kidney stones too.. So that is a great thing to know because I also struggled with those recently...

The immune system gets taxed after time and really needs our help with supplementation....ANTIOXIDANTS are GREAT to get those free radicals and also help get oxygen throughout the body.

Mild exercise each day. If you do not have a chronic underlying health problem complicating everything you are trying to do for your body then an excellent diet with plenty of hydration and a good multivitamin should help quite a bit.

I still only have a complete blood count of 10 with low iron. Even after treating for these tape worms and flukes the numbers did not go up.. SO at this point I have to assume the underlying infection with lyme/borrelia and possible co infections is causing the anemia and inability to recover in a timely fashion.

I would love to read the info. you referred to that you found online about oversupplementation with B6 and 12.. Can you supply a link possibly? Much obliged!

Have a great day and thank you for the info. and post.

Welcome to the group and bring as much info. as you can! This group is small and kind of quiet but we need all the info. we can get!

04/18/2011 09:08 AM
Cbelle
Cbelle  
VIP Member

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. My anemia was blood loss related, but Tara can definitely guide in terms of vitamins.

Food sources, food sources, food sources everyone - keep eating as many as you can. Multi-grain cheerios, canned artichokes, farina, spinach, baby clams, these are excellent sources w/o really boosting cholesterol. Avoid dairy while you're iron-loading, but not all day, and group with Vitamin C.

Keep us posted.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved