MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/10/2012 04:51 PM

Number of iron infusions

janq

Does anyone know the average number of infusions needed to raise the iron levels to a "normal" number? TIA

05/18/2012 08:01 PM
Cbelle
Cbelle  
VIP Member

I'm sorry - I don't - I was never infused. I know there are folks who have. I would imagine (in my non-medical experience) it depends on absorption and how quickly your body is able to recover. For some it's a just a couple - for others I'm sure it takes longer - although if it's working and your body is taking it well, I would imagine they would trail off eventually. Please keep us posted. People come here to read our stories and be encouraged!

05/19/2012 01:28 PM
cyberscryber
cyberscryber  
Group Leader

I don't know if there is an average per-say. There is a formula used to get the correct dosage per patient, based on each particular individual's parameters. Here is Iron Dextran's calculator: http://www.globalrph.com/irondextran.htm

Keep in mind that most doctors don't even want to go the route of infusions unless you are just totally unable to tolerate the iron orally, or you're hemoglobin is in the moderate to severe range (mild = 11.9--10.0, moderate= 9.9--8.0,severe = 7.9--3.0, 2.9 or below = dead, if I remember right).

Another way to ask the question might be: How far gone are most people when finally diagnosed as anemic? Again, I don't know if there is an average because there are so many different factors in each person's life--access to health care, quality of health care, and so on. It is an interesting question and one that might make a good college thesis paper.

05/19/2012 04:22 PM
janq

Thanks, Cyberscryber. I'm receive Feraheme because I couldn't tolerate the tablets last year and this year I had a GI bleed. The doctor doesn't want to interfere with any future tests I may need with the GI doc. In addition I have Chronic Kidney Disease and Feraheme is easier on the kidneys.

Take care.

Smile

08/05/2012 06:35 AM
prissypants

I agree - all depends on how deficient u were.I was at a 7 and just had my second infusion hoping that will be the last for 6 months. I have malabsortpion problems and can't take oral iron as it makes me ill and doesn't abosorb anyhow. MY dr uses Dextran and has seemed to work well for me and has made me feel better.Just had my second infusion 3 days ago. Good luck let us know how you are.

08/05/2012 09:14 AM
janq

Received good news at the doc's. Numbers are mostly in the normal range and as long as I don't have further inflammation or bleeding no infusions are needed.

Thanks to all of you who have helped me through this.

08/10/2012 12:09 PM
jeevie

I have an iron level of 1 and ferritin level of 2. I am having to have 4 iron infusions over the course of 1 week starting Monday so I guess it really depends on your levels.

08/21/2012 03:07 PM
cindyhuck

I tried to have 3 infusions in a week. I got sick I felt like I had the flu for another week with a real bad taste in my month. Nothing tasted good either.

Now I go once a week with a 2 hour infusions. I have not gotten sick this time either. Tired but no flu feelings.

08/29/2012 09:31 AM
cyberscryber
cyberscryber  
Group Leader

Janq,

We're always glad to help. Smile Happy to hear you are on your way to feeling better. Keep us posted!

08/29/2012 01:06 PM
janq

Thank you,Corinna. I'm happy to report that the initial infusion in May, only two infusions in all has been enough to return my rbc count almost within normal range. The henatologist said, while my numbers are still on the loe side,as long as I don't have any further bleeding or inflammation, I probably won't need another infusion.

Thank you for your interest.

Janq

Laughing

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved