MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/14/2011 09:04 AM

Iron Infusion vs. Blood transfusion

shcooper

Well, my doctor called me very early this morning to tell me that I am VERY VERY Anemic and that I need to be treated. My co-workers suggested the blood transfusion because the Iron Infusion her "side effects". My doctor states that the "new" Iron Infusions have NO side affects. Does anyone know abot the "new" iron infusion,also,about the cost as I have to a deductible. Which is cheaper?

11/22/2011 09:04 AM
damselndistress
damselndistressPosts: 16968
VIP Member

I have gotten 4 iron infusions and so far I've done okay with it and am seeing improvement with my health.

I do feel a little nauseated sometimes after but honestly it's no worse than how the anemia was making me feel.

So a little agitation and nausea for a few hours and by next morning that feeling leaves.

I'm getting Venofer and have not read up to much on the side effects because I did not want to freak myself out.

I did read that it amazingly increase ferritin levels and hemoglobin.

They say it's extremely safe but I am very sensitive so I still worry.

Cost is $400 per infusion at the cancer treatment center I go to.

11/25/2011 09:05 PM
cyberscryber
cyberscryber  
Group Leader

Thanks for posting the cost of the infusions...just took a blood test and failed ;p with a hemoglobin of 9.6 and ferritin of 26. Bleh. Went to an internest rather than my regular doc for an unrelated female issue and was told I should consider an infusion. I'm actually excited to do that after years and years of iron pills killing my gi tract.

11/26/2011 06:55 AM
Cbelle
Cbelle  
VIP Member

I don't know anything about infusions - thank you for posting. I know people have different responses to transfusions. I'm sure your body works hard either way to cope.

Let us know how things go for you. XO

12/06/2011 02:52 PM
rondennis

I just had my first IRON INFUSION today 12/06/2011 no problems and I'm a white male 64 years old. I'll have another IRON INFUSION in a week then blood work

12/21/2011 07:44 PM
Cbelle
Cbelle  
VIP Member

Very glad it went well for you, Ron!

08/18/2012 09:25 PM
jeevie

I know this is a bit of an old post...

I have had both a blood transfusion and an iron infusion. Go for the iron infusion. I do not understand why people say it is so terrible. It takes way less time than a blood transfusion, makes you feel a lot better, and has more lasting effects than getting a blood transfusion. A blood transfusion is really hard on the body and it took me 2 weeks to recover and go back to work. With my 1st iron iv, i took the next day off because I was sore all over. 2nd one went well, with very little side effects.

08/21/2012 02:52 PM
cindyhuck

I had 3 infusions in July that brought my Ferritin up from 10 to 14. Then 3 weeks later it was back down to 7. The hematologist says I need to get up to 100. So we started again last week. I am now going every Monday morning for a month. Back to the lab 3 weeks after that. Someone asked about cost. Per the insurance papers the iron infusion

was $952 and the administration of it was $460. Not sure what they are actually paying, but I do know they will have to take my co-pay in payments. Like others I am tired for the rest of the day. When I am tired I get very sad. Mondays are a very "blue" day right now. The Infusion itself was not painful. My craving for ice is gone. I'm not sure what brand of iron I am getting. But I can tell you getting the infusion over 2 hours instead of 1 hour I do not get to sick, flu like when I am done.

08/24/2012 07:03 PM
Lynn63

Cindy thanks for the info. I start seeing a hematologist on Tuesday and have been told that I have to have infusions by my MD. Ferritin dropping and dropping with no help from medicine or foods. Mine is self inflicted from a gastric bypass surgery, didn't know 1/2 of the side effects or I wouldn't have done it.

I am soooooooo scared. I have had a ton of surgeries in my life but for some reason this really is bothering me. I have almost every symptom there is. I am self employed and am on the verge of losing my business because I can't concentrate long enough to do anything.

I also have been eating ice and didn't know why. How odd. I drink milk with ice in it then chew the ice, ALL the time.

Anyway thanks for listening.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved