MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/19/2011 12:54 AM

what should i do ?

linzoid

I was feeling ill with all sorts of symptoms , after a blood test my doctor has said i am anemic and left a prescription for iron tablets for me at the reception.

and thats it .

I have problems with my stomach , my head pounding , dizziness etc

so, i just pop some iron and all will be well ? doesnt seem right to me !

10/19/2011 02:16 AM
PeterE

Hi there, you need to find out why you have anemia.

If it is "simple" iron deficiency anemia then yes a iron supplement and an improved diet of iron rich foods should get back on track, but there can be other hidden causes for anemia which unless treated.

Anemia happens when:

1. your body loses too much blood (heavy periods, certain diseases, injury)

2. your body doesn't make enough red blood cells

3. your red blood cells break down faster than you can replace them

or a combination of the above

There are also different types of anemia, all with different causes:

Iron deficiency anemia (IDA)

Folate or Vitamin B12 deficiency anemia

Anemias caused by underlying diseases e.g. kidney disease

Anemias caused by inherited blood disease

Hope this helps,

Post edited by: PeterE, at: 10/19/2011 02:18 AM

Post edited by: PeterE, at: 10/19/2011 02:18 AM

10/19/2011 02:36 AM
linzoid

thankyou , would the doctor have been able to know that it was 'simple' iron deficiency anemia from the tests ? I had a full blood count first and then they said they were testing iron levels. took 2 seperate vials of blood the second time.

10/19/2011 02:45 AM
PeterE

depends on what tests they did... best to talk to your doctor to ask what tests they have done (get a copy of the complete results) and what in their view the cause of the anemia is. My experience is limited to iron deficiency anemia.

10/23/2011 03:55 AM
linzoid

now i have another letter asking me to come for another blood test ! getting a bit worried now , 3 blood tests, im thinking allsorts .

10/30/2011 09:47 PM
Cbelle
Cbelle  
VIP Member

The blood tests are normal when they are monitoring you for anemia. You'll get used to it. Hope you're able to determine the cause soon denough. It takes 4-6 weeks to rebuild iron stores/red blood cells, so stay on the treatment plan, stay hydrated, do some cardio exercise when you can, and take good care of yourself! Keep use posted on your progress.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved