MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/03/2010 06:33 AM

foods that i can eat to get my iron levels up.

Emtigger20
Emtigger20  

hiya ive just been told im mildly anemic.

ive been given iron tablets but also been told to start eatting more iron and vitimin c foods.

these are the only foods i like im quite fussy.

fruit : strawberrys, melon, apples, grapes and bananas... apple + orange juice( im really fussy dont like the bits in lol)

veg: sweetcorn,carrots,potatoes,sprouts

meat: chicken,sausage (pork/beef), beef burgers,mince beef and ham.

i dont ussally eat breakfast but do like cheerios and ready break.

ido like baked beans and eggs aswell.

im stuck on which ones will help me with my anemia.

thnks Em Smile

09/04/2010 10:47 AM
Cbelle
Cbelle  
VIP Member

Hey there! Mild anemia is easy to catch up with with the right combos of food.

The fruits and juices you listed are great sources of C. Try Multi-grain Cheerios - but skip the milk - with OJ for breakfast. Turkey has iron as does beef. Try whole pieces instead of ground or processed. Also Farina (hot cereal) is a great source.

When eating the iron sources, mix with C and B for absorption - but skip the dairy and coffee/tea - those will only block and flush - a waste of your eating time!

Keep on those iron pills and eat right and you should see great gains in 4-6 weeks. Worked for me! Smile

Keep us posted!

Cara

09/04/2010 11:46 AM
Emtigger20
Emtigger20  

oh didnt no that milk blocks it. i wasted my time eating weetabix this morning. Sad

is there anything else i cant eat at the moment or things i can eat in moderation?, i do enjoy my chocolate and fizzy pop. but dont mind cutting it out my diet if its going to help me get my strenth back.

Thanks Em Smile

Post edited by: Emtigger20, at: 09/04/2010 11:47 AM

09/08/2010 08:51 PM
Cbelle
Cbelle  
VIP Member

Hi Em!

Just get a little aerobic exercise when you can, and be consistent and patient. There's no way to speed the process of making blood cells. Be gentle with yourself! Be a label reader and choose foods that have more iron than others-like bread, deli meat, and baked treats, like cookies and crackers.

Some canned veggies have good iron too. Baby clams in a can have a TON of iron.

Remember, your body absorbs more vitamins and minerals from foods instead of supplements, so don't just rely on your pills. You can eat dairy-just do it an hour before or after your high iron meals.

I don't think chocolate or fizzy pop affects anything but your teeth! Smile

Check back in with us!

09/21/2010 01:46 PM
Emtigger20
Emtigger20  

im quite a active person anyway i work at a boarding kennels, but quite lucky as i can have short breaks when i need them.

my parents have noticed im not as pale and im starting to get a bit more of my energy back. im getting lot better with what foods im eating and getting into a bit of a routine.

Em Smile

09/24/2010 11:05 AM
Cbelle
Cbelle  
VIP Member

SWEET! Em! That's phenomenal! Laughing Such great news to hear! Have a great weekend!

10/19/2010 02:36 PM
Emtigger20
Emtigger20  

just come back from holls and completly messed everything up. im really struggling getting back into a rountine with food and im started to lose my energy again. ive rung the docters and all they said was keep takeing my iron tablets(some help they are) ive no idea how long i got to take them for as my mum was saying i probly could change to the nortmal vitimins and iron tablets as long as im eating the right food.

all i got from the docters when they told me im anemic is to look on the internet to see what foods to eat, i dont think they want to see me again and on my instructions of my iron tablets im not aloud to take them for over 3 months so ive got no idea what im doing!!!

help plz Sad

10/19/2010 04:26 PM
TaraT
TaraT  
VIP Member

Hi Emtigger so sorry you are feeling like you are regressing and docs don't seem concerned. First thing you gotta do is try to relax...stress depletes us of everything good.

Drink lots of water and add a little lemon for detoxing. Drink real not from concentrate fresh orange juice (pulp free if you prefer). Eat greens dear...Lot's of greens...SPINACH! Raw spinach in your salads is an excellent source of natural iron.

Vit. B12 also helps with the iron facilitating absorption and storing the iron in your body.

Use cast iron cooking pots and pans and utensils IF you have them. Every bit helps!

Continue taking your iron pills...add a good multi WITH it. Use a prenatal vitamin if you can get it as it has a lot of good things in there....

You need plenty of rest too. Laughter always makes you feel better so watch a funny flick on the tele if you can....

If you have a choice, I'd look for another doc that will be of more assistance as well.

We're here for you. Smile

10/21/2010 10:37 AM
Emtigger20
Emtigger20  

hehe im really really fussy with foods i dont really like veg and i hate green veg, i no its good for me but i cant stand it at all. i drink a lot of water but end up going to the toilet alot after.

thanks for all your help.

oh i was a bit confused my tablets says dont eat eggs after ive had it but i thought eggs were full iron?...bit confussed!!

shouldnt i be getting check ups on my blood and stuff aswell?.. it seems like theyve left me to get on with it!!!

thanks again Em Smile

10/21/2010 10:47 AM
TaraT
TaraT  
VIP Member

Believe it or not my doc did that to me for YEARS until I moved to another state and was forced to find another doc....I THEN was quickly whisked into the hospital for transfusions and a hematologist was assigned for fulltime follow up.

Yes I almost died...all while my family doc didn't even request follow up visits. Some docs just don't have a clue hon. Depending on how serious your anemia is...you may want to get a hematologist.

If your blood loss is one that is due to a female thing then your Gynecologist should be fully aware so that he or she can suggest a way to KEEP yourself from getting more anemic later.

If you've had a gastric bypass then it could be a complication from that...as mine is said to be.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved