MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/05/2010 02:38 PM

How to naturally get your iron levels up.

TaraT
TaraT  
VIP Member

Things You'll Need:

* Chicken

* Dried Fruits

* Egg Yolks

* Fish

* Green Leafy Vegetables

* Meats

* Cast-iron Pots

Step 1

Eat chicken, fish, egg yolks and red meat.

Step 2

Feast on dark green, leafy vegetables such as chard; kale; spinach; endive; and mustard, collard and turnip greens.

Step 3

Snack on high-iron dried fruits such as prunes, apricots, dates, figs, peaches and raisins.

Step 4

Start off your day with iron-fortified cereals and breads for breakfast.

Step 5

Eat iron-rich foods in combination with foods that are high in vitamin C to better absorb the iron. For example, have spinach salad with orange slices or eggs with grapefruit juice.

Step 6

Eat foods that are naturally high in both iron and vitamin C, such as broccoli and bok choy.

Step 7

Cook in cast-iron pots. Iron will be absorbed into the food, especially acidic foods such as tomato sauce.

Step 8

Drink tea between meals, not with them. Tea contains tannin, which blocks the absorption of iron. Herbal tea is a good alternative.

Step 9

Add 1 to 2 tbsp. blackstrap molasses, which is high in both calcium and iron, to hot water as a substitute for coffee or tea.

Sideways

Post edited by: TaraT, at: 01/05/2010 02:40 PM

01/25/2010 07:54 AM
Cbelle
Cbelle  
VIP Member

This is awesome Tara. Thanks for posting!

May I add: Avoid dairy 20 minutes before and 1 hour after your iron food! Smile Calcium blocks absorption.

01/25/2010 08:43 AM
TaraT
TaraT  
VIP Member

Thanks Cbelle! I noticed that tea does the same thing! So avoid before and after. Smile

01/28/2010 09:29 AM
Cbelle
Cbelle  
VIP Member

Yes, caffeinated drinks - also not good to boost the heart rate abnormally while you're already not getting enough oxygen. ACK! I almost keeled over after sucking down two diet cokes at a restaurant when I was really thirsty...and really anemic...really bad decision. (Good recipe for a panic attack.)

01/28/2010 10:42 PM
TaraT
TaraT  
VIP Member

ahhhh I had no idea!

02/02/2010 10:43 AM
Cbelle
Cbelle  
VIP Member

Interestingly enough I felt AMAZING after exercise. Probably because the heart rate was NORMALLY up and my body was getting better oxygenated. ALSO, my PA friend tells me that exercise signals the body to START MAKING MORE RED BLOOD CELLS. GENIUS! That walk around the block, even when you really, really, really don't feel like it, can make you feel a ton better.

02/02/2010 11:00 AM
TaraT
TaraT  
VIP Member

I'm working on getting my energy level up enough to stay out of the bed. I'm up to a couple hours here and there out of the bed. For the best part I'm still bedridden though..

I'm looking forward to even a little bit of energy to burn..not just to live yanno? It exhausts me to ride in the car...and it has to be a very good day to make a trip to get groceries.

Oh Lord I used to be SO active...I was the type that you could not keep down. Ahhh I will recover not just my health but my outlook and my optimism and all of my youth that has been stolen by this illness...

I'm so thankful that now I have an idea of what's going on and can possibly recover in a few years.

04/12/2010 10:03 AM
kashburne

I'm vegetarian and don't do dairy much either. I have the other things but it's hard for me to incorporate them often enough. Thanks for the list though! Can anyone say how much and how long until you start to feel a difference? I feel my diet is pretty healthy, but I still have symptoms.

04/12/2010 10:14 AM
TaraT
TaraT  
VIP Member

Hi there kashburne...To answer your question it is really going to be an individual thing depending on your metabolism and how deficient you are in vitamins along with iron etc...

My anemia and low iron is so severe it landed me in the hospital needing 3 blood transfusions and an iron infusion...since then I have to get iron shots twice a month along with B12.

I assume it may take a couple of years for me...but I can't say that for you.. For someone who already has a pretty healthy diet assuming you do not already have a severe deficiency then you'll probably at the very least be keeping yourself at a healthy level if not with reserves....

The key is to take one day at a time...and if you can't get it out of the food quick enough then there's always the iron pills over the counter or even getting iron shots from your dr.

I hope this answers your question...I know that most dr's think they can "cure" someone in a couple of months but my hematologist has given me a more realistic outlook.

Welcome to the group By the way...we are greatly looking forward to getting to know you here!

04/14/2010 10:56 AM
Cbelle
Cbelle  
VIP Member

kashburne, hope you'll find some good sources of iron - the fortified cereals - and Farina/Oatmeal are great. Just don't eat them with milk or dairy - just a nice glass of OJ. Mmm...OJ & cereal - ever make that mistake at breakfast?

Anyway, my hemoglobin levels were in the 9s and it took me 4-6 weeks to restore myself to an 11-12.

As a vegetarian, please share your tips and what you come up with - they will be so helpful to others here.

Thanks!

Cara

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved